cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When do Snow Birds head south??

D_and_A_plus_6
Explorer
Explorer
I realize there is probably no right or wrong answer to my question, "When do Snow Birds head south", but traveling up I-35 this weekend for a wedding, I met several and all types of RV's heading south and figured a fairly strong percent were heading south for the winter.
Just wondering and thinking while I was driving. Thanks for any answers.
32 REPLIES 32

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Headed south yesterdayโ€ฆ got 10 miles and large cloud of white mist out the backโ€ฆantifreeze everywhere. Took several times of having the DW start the engine while I watched underneath to find the leak. Fortunately just a heater hose was the problem and $4 in parts (splice and 2 clamps) plus 8 gallons of antifreeze and back on the road in under 2 hours. The 1โ€ section I replaced had a thin area but not from having been rubbing on anythingโ€ฆweโ€™ll supported and zip tied. Probably a defect from day one.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Southbound, I-15 through UT for the last two days. Many Canadian license plates on a variety of vehicles. Nice to see!
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We leave after Thanksgiving based upon the weather with the intent to be in FL about December 1 and will return north late March.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
10/8
Left early to avoid winter weather and campground closures.
Currently thinking that a summer cabin in northern Arizona and winter home in the valley might allow us to become full time AZ residents.

We are moving into a home in the Mesa area at the end of December and will keep the RV for a couple more years (stored during the winter) and then looking at the cabin up high for the summers.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
10/8
Left early to avoid winter weather and campground closures.
Currently thinking that a summer cabin in northern Arizona and winter home in the valley might allow us to become full time AZ residents.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

markchengr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't leave south florida until it starts getting hot in April.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Usually leave Christmas Day (best day to travel anywhere in the world) and usually home for Easter. Some snowbirds from way up north bring their rigs south before the roads get salted and then fly home for the holidays. Canadians tend to spend 5+ months in the South.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
We left MI 10/4
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

texacokat
Explorer
Explorer
This year Dec 14 to explore south FL, then to Vero Beach for xmas with sister, then to our Port Richey, FL winter site til Mar 31.
Kathy & Scott
2018 Ford F-150 XLT
2018 Forest River Wildwood 27rks

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
We spend the month of September traveling down the West Coast (picking up wines for the winter) and arrive in Mesa, AZ on October 1st. Will be here until the first of April, then off again trying to find somewhere cooler. ??

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
We leave as soon as the leaves fall in MN, Mid Oct at the latest and return mid May.
We see the biggest wave the first week after Thanksgiving. Many combine Christmas and Thanksgiving as a single holiday and head south after thanksgiving.
pawatt

dedmiston
Moved from General.

Happy travels, Snowbirds.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
11/19

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Driving I-35 and US 281 in Texas several times each year from September to late December we see RVs of all types heading south each and every trip. Some go far ahead of the first cold weather. Some wait until after thanksgiving or after Christmas.