cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to stay in San Francisco?

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for some recommendations on good rv parks north of San Francisco. Looking for something premium without a bunch of permanent residents with easy access to the city.
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
2010 Ford F350 V10 Crew Cab
Full Timing: 2 Adults, 1 Toddler, 1 Yellow Lab
www.randomgoodness.ca
24 REPLIES 24

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
gfs1943 wrote:
We spent a few days last month at the Solano County Fairgrounds in Vallejo. I don't believe this is the place for you. We were the only occupants of the fairground at the time we were there. It's close to the SF Bay ferry, and right next to I-80 if you wanted to drive into SF (which we did). But the Fairground is really just a parking lot with full hookups. Plenty of space, plenty quiet, no one else around except a few workers in the daytime, but absolutely no activities for families except Six Flags across the road.

I was a cop in Vallejo years ago and I didn't even know they now had an RV park at the fairgrounds, but I sure would not stay there. That neighborhood across Highway 37 is one of the most crime ridden places in the SF Bay Area. No way would I be able to get any sleep knowing the area. There is a reason you were the only one there!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a few days last month at the Solano County Fairgrounds in Vallejo. I don't believe this is the place for you. We were the only occupants of the fairground at the time we were there. It's close to the SF Bay ferry, and right next to I-80 if you wanted to drive into SF (which we did). But the Fairground is really just a parking lot with full hookups. Plenty of space, plenty quiet, no one else around except a few workers in the daytime, but absolutely no activities for families except Six Flags across the road.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Why North? That means you have to cross the Golden Gate to get into SF. San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica is a great place (not cheap) and has very easy access to SF, but it is just south of SF on Highway 1.

X-2 This would be my choice. Nice ocean views. Very close to city.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
jaydub74 wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
I'm not to concerned with the lack of fire pits or the tight spots. As you say you're there to see San Fran. I'm more just trying to find a place with a friendly group of Rvers touring. These types of places have a nice vibe. I get bummed out when you're in a place full of perminant residence, I just kind of kills it for me. I also like places that are full, they have energy.

KOA Petaluma is for you, we stayed there a week - we took the ferry into SF from Larkspur, parking was 2.00 and senior rate on the ferry was 10.00 each round trip. In SF we got around on buses, cable car and trolley cars. It was quite easy to get around. Senior rate on the bus and trolley was .75 and the cable car is 6.00 for everyone

We stayed at the KOA in April of this year weekly rate was 289, Marin park was $140 more on the weekly rate
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
X3 for Marin RV Park in Greenbrae. We spent a week there; perfect for visiting SF. We took the ferry each day to get to the waterfront...rode cable cars; visited Alcatraz..very convenient campground. No frills; quiet and clean, paved interior roads.
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.
I'm not to concerned with the lack of fire pits or the tight spots. As you say you're there to see San Fran. I'm more just trying to find a place with a friendly group of Rvers touring. These types of places have a nice vibe. I get bummed out when you're in a place full of perminant residence, I just kind of kills it for me. I also like places that are full, they have energy.
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
2010 Ford F350 V10 Crew Cab
Full Timing: 2 Adults, 1 Toddler, 1 Yellow Lab
www.randomgoodness.ca

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
BusterMama wrote:
This past June we spent a week at Marin RV Park in Greenbrae, just north of SF. It's nice and clean, but the spots are very small. Not a problem if you're going somewhere everyday like we did, but it's certainly not a place to have a campfire and sit outside. We enjoyed our stay because we found it very convenient. It was close to everything we were interested in. Most days we walked the 10 minutes to the ferry then sailed for about 30 minutes to dock right at the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero. From there you can walk to the various piers (very touristy) and the Alcatraz ferry tour. Or you can ride on a cable car or a streetcar. One day we drove to Tiburon and took the ferry to Angel Island where we biked the circumference of the island. Another day we biked across the Golden Gate Bridge (a wonderful experience!). There's no shortage of things to do and we were very glad we weren't way up in Petaluma, fighting traffic into the city every day.

I've been by that area a jillion times and never even noticed that RV park there. In looking at the Google earth image it does look like a tight fit, but that is a good location if your goal is to go into SF.

To the OP: I've never stayed at this place, but this looks like a very good option for what you're looking for. Another similar type set up (but further away) is the RV park at the Fairgrounds in Pleasanton. It's a ways from SF, but only a couple of miles from the BART station so you can ride BART directly into SF. But this park in Marin County looks like your best choice.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

BusterMama
Explorer
Explorer
This past June we spent a week at Marin RV Park in Greenbrae, just north of SF. It's nice and clean, but the spots are very small. Not a problem if you're going somewhere everyday like we did, but it's certainly not a place to have a campfire and sit outside. We enjoyed our stay because we found it very convenient. It was close to everything we were interested in. Most days we walked the 10 minutes to the ferry then sailed for about 30 minutes to dock right at the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero. From there you can walk to the various piers (very touristy) and the Alcatraz ferry tour. Or you can ride on a cable car or a streetcar. One day we drove to Tiburon and took the ferry to Angel Island where we biked the circumference of the island. Another day we biked across the Golden Gate Bridge (a wonderful experience!). There's no shortage of things to do and we were very glad we weren't way up in Petaluma, fighting traffic into the city every day.
Bigsby, the 2013 LTV Libero

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Why North? That means you have to cross the Golden Gate to get into SF. San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica is a great place (not cheap) and has very easy access to SF, but it is just south of SF on Highway 1.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
KOA Petaluma comes to mind. Nice place and not far from The City
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C