cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to stay in San Francisco?

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for some recommendations on good rv parks north of San Francisco. Looking for something premium without a bunch of permanent residents with easy access to the city.
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
2010 Ford F350 V10 Crew Cab
Full Timing: 2 Adults, 1 Toddler, 1 Yellow Lab
www.randomgoodness.ca
24 REPLIES 24

Vacay_Wheels
Explorer
Explorer
BusterMama wrote:
This past June we spent a week at Marin RV Park in Greenbrae, just north of SF. It's nice and clean, but the spots are very small. Not a problem if you're going somewhere everyday like we did, but it's certainly not a place to have a campfire and sit outside. We enjoyed our stay because we found it very convenient. It was close to everything we were interested in. Most days we walked the 10 minutes to the ferry then sailed for about 30 minutes to dock right at the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero. From there you can walk to the various piers (very touristy) and the Alcatraz ferry tour. Or you can ride on a cable car or a streetcar. One day we drove to Tiburon and took the ferry to Angel Island where we biked the circumference of the island. Another day we biked across the Golden Gate Bridge (a wonderful experience!). There's no shortage of things to do and we were very glad we weren't way up in Petaluma, fighting traffic into the city every day.

Wow, I think this post really nailed it. Used to live in Greenbrae, never realized his was here. 1/2 mile walk and you're on the ferry, no worries about traffic. From the Embarcadero you can get nearly anywhere in the city via transit faster than driving & parking. I never thought of SF as an RV destination, but I should revisit that now. Thanks for the great tip!
2015 Newmar Bay Star 3215 (on order) ๐Ÿ˜„
www.vacaywheels.com
_

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Petaluma KOA.We were there in October.Spent a week in the San fran area.Take Johns tour for a great day trip.Muir woods,and the wine tours.Point reyes light house was fun too.So much to do and a week wasn't really long enough,but the KOA was a good place to stay and base camp out of.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Minnie_Collector wrote:
We are looking for a campground south of San Francisco. I have researched San Francisco RV Resort, Treasure Island RV Park and Candlestick RV Park. We are mainly interested in a campground very close to public transportation since we will not be taking our TOAD. Safety is also a concern. SF RV Resort seems to get good reviews but does anyone have any experience with the other 2 resorts. We have 2 small dogs which makes Treasure Island RV Park seem questionable due to management issues but it is a block away from the BART which is very convenient.

There's one even further south at Half Moon Bay where we stayed over night. It's right on the Pacific, but pretty tight when full. Not sure which one it was now and don't know about public transportation, so you might want to give these a call if interested.... RV Parks
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Minnie_Collecto
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a campground south of San Francisco. I have researched San Francisco RV Resort, Treasure Island RV Park and Candlestick RV Park. We are mainly interested in a campground very close to public transportation since we will not be taking our TOAD. Safety is also a concern. SF RV Resort seems to get good reviews but does anyone have any experience with the other 2 resorts. We have 2 small dogs which makes Treasure Island RV Park seem questionable due to management issues but it is a block away from the BART which is very convenient.
Travelling with our spoiled 4-legged kids

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
dapperdan wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
KOA Petaluma comes to mind. Nice place and not far from The City

We stayed there as well. Nice place and their own tour bus picked us up at the office for a tour of the city, going places where the big buses don't go and with a very knowledgeable driver who grew up in the city. Price was about $75 per person and what we thought, very reasonable. It's also not far from the ferry landing next to San Quentin, which makes for a nice ride across the bay to Fisherman's Wharf. This is a very busy campground in summer when the kids are out of school, so plan accordingly. We didn't have a reservation and had to do a bit of shuffling, along with almost ending up in their overflow lot.

We stayed there (KOA Petaluma) a year ago this September, we also took that city tour. Our guide's name was John, I just wonder if you had the same guide. His tour was OUTSTANDING! I'd go back there just for that guy's tour, he really knew the city.

Dan

I'm thinking that John was his name. A very knowledgeable non stop talker, except on the way back and even told us about his family and growing up in the city.

Yup, sounds like John, his father was a city cop. He has like 5 or 6 brothers?? Really knew his stuff though.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dapperdan wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:

We stayed there as well. Nice place and their own tour bus picked us up at the office for a tour of the city, going places where the big buses don't go and with a very knowledgeable driver who grew up in the city. Price was about $75 per person and what we thought, very reasonable. It's also not far from the ferry landing next to San Quentin, which makes for a nice ride across the bay to Fisherman's Wharf. This is a very busy campground in summer when the kids are out of school, so plan accordingly. We didn't have a reservation and had to do a bit of shuffling, along with almost ending up in their overflow lot.

We stayed there (KOA Petaluma) a year ago this September, we also took that city tour. Our guide's name was John, I just wonder if you had the same guide. His tour was OUTSTANDING! I'd go back there just for that guy's tour, he really knew the city.

Dan

I'm thinking that John was his name. A very knowledgeable non stop talker, except on the way back and even told us about his family and growing up in the city.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Marin RV Park in Greenbrae rules state that your RV can not be over 15 years old.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:

Dan

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at SF RV Resort in Pacifica about 5 times. There are permanent residents but off to the side and not close to the sites that will interest you.

Sites are cramped. The cliff fell away 2-3 years ago and sites overlooking the Pacific Ocean are there....but no hookups.
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
San Francisco RV Park in Pacifica is perfect for you. Get one of the sites overlooking the Pacific. Watch hang gliders from your front window. Follow the whales migrating right from your site. Walk along the beach and gather treasures. Pool/Spa/Activities

If you want to go into San Francisco, leave your car home and take the bus that picks you up at the campground entrance. It'll take you downtown or to the BART station where you can go anywhere. Use the cable cars to tour the city. Enjoy your stay without the hassles of traffic and/or parking......be sure to eat at Bubba Gumps on the Pier.....Dennis

San Francisco RV Resort
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

X2 on this campground. Lots of people and things to do. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Chabot in Hayward.

Has full hookups, forest type setting, minutes from everything..