cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to stay near Johnson City TX?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We will be spending several days in San Antonio & are looking at where to stay when we visit the LBJ Ranch & state park in Johnson City, as well as the Fredericksburg area for the Natl Museum of the Pacific War. Our next stop will be in Denton TX. I thought Johnson City would be best, but I am beginning to think The Fredericksburg area might be better. Your thought & suggestions? Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I am not a fan of KOAs but the Fredericksburg KOA is very nice. Lots of big shade trees, pool, FHU, and nice mgmt. We have stayed in the very back part and it is totally quiet.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Our first choice when staying in Fredericksburg is the KOA. We are not prejudiced one way or the other about KOA. We never choose a park BECAUSE it is a KOA, but some, like this one, we know and prefer.

It is about 5 miles East of Fredericksburg toward Johnson City, so that may be an advantage to you.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Not much to see or do in Johnson City. Fredericksburg is probably the place to stay. We like staying at Lady Bird Johnson municipal park in Fredericksburg. If you are planing on being there on the weekend you need to make reservations in advance for any RV park in or near Fredericksburg. They are extremely busy and fill up year round.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

FrankoToo
Explorer
Explorer
You don't mention when you will be in the area so be forewarned, the Fredericksburg area can be very busy especially on weekends. Lot's of places to camp, the question will be can you get a reservation when you want. I will throw out Pedernales State Park as an option near Johnson City. Again, if you can get a reservation.
FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Fredericksburg would definitely be the better choice and only 30 minutes away. Lots more to see and do there. Although a nice little town, there really isnโ€™t much in Johnson City.

Fredericksburg RV Park gets good reviews and is right in town. The KOA about 3 miles east of Fredericksburg also gets good reviews and is a very short drive to LBJ State Park if you would rather stay outside of town. National Museum of the Pacific War is a not to be missed attraction. Check their web site for special events. And they sometimes sell out tickets for the day, so consider that also.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Fredericksburg RV Park - we liked it and you can walk to town
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks