cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to watch rocket launch in or near motorhome?

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
We want to watch the launch on Wednesday. I just discovered today Playlanda Beach is closed, and Jetty Park is annual pass holders only. Is there a place where we can watch the launch and either stay in the motorhome, or at least very close to it?
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.
22 REPLIES 22

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watched a launch from Pad 39A earlier this month. Playalinda Beach #1 is closed but we parked at the next beach to the north Playalinda 2 (very close to Playalinda 1). Walked up the beach past Playalinda 1 to where they blocked us from going further. I understand it's better to watch elsewhere if a launch occurs at another pad.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
We liked it. Brand new bath house where we were in the west side. Only problem was weak internet. Really too slow to use. I need some kind of booster or antenna. Sites were full but didnโ€™t seem crowded.
Jim & Sherri

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
jspringator wrote:
Went back to the same spot last week and viewed a launch! We were at EG Simmons outside Tampa, and heard about the launch on the news We drove over there in a rental car for the 10:59 pm launch. The place was deserted. We are 1 for 3. Next I want to see a Falcon Heavy launch.

I've stayed at EG Simmons numerous years. How is it now? Crowded? All the restrooms open & working?

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Better than me.

We saw one from that park in 2019. Right now we are in far south Texas, 73 miles from the Boca Chica pads, and 68 miles from the best watching point.

But the past week's weather had put a hold on all major activity. We hope Starship Sn10 will fly during our stay.

But without needing an orbit window, they just run tests. As long as they don't hit a no-go, the countdown continues.

So folks never know when it will fly.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Went back to the same spot last week and viewed a launch! We were at EG Simmons outside Tampa, and heard about the launch on the news We drove over there in a rental car for the 10:59 pm launch. The place was deserted. We are 1 for 3. Next I want to see a Falcon Heavy launch.
Jim & Sherri

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Did you make it back to watch the successful launch today?
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
NP. Or, you could probably just park in the airport parking lot. Not sure if it's a PPU lot, though?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!
Jim & Sherri

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
jspringator wrote:
We have to get back. It takes us 2 easy days. That cut out is perfect for a short motorhome.

I'm at a rest area just outside of St. Augustine. I hope they don't kick me out.

If they do, and I doubt they would, there's a huge mall just off the I-95, just north of Jacksonville, opposite side from the airport, at the same exit. Lots of parking there, and a Starbucks for morning coffee, if you're into that sort of thing.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
We have to get back. It takes us 2 easy days. That cut out is perfect for a short motorhome.

I'm at a rest area just outside of St. Augustine. I hope they don't kick me out.
Jim & Sherri

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Think they're going to try again Saturday? I know the "stuck in traffic" thing, trying to escape the observation area. We were trapped between the coast and I-95, for well over an hour, when we saw our launch.

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Great spot, but no joy on the launch. Some traffic getting out, but not that bad. We're 0 for 2 for launches. Maybe next time; and maybe it will be at night!
Jim & Sherri

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
jspringator wrote:
We made it. No one is here. There was a cut out in the curb big enough for the MH and I u-turned my way in.

I don't know if this will work or not.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

That's great! I hope the launch happens today! Walk around and look at all the monuments and watch for the jumping fish in that long pond type thing. Burger King is a short walk if you get hungry. One word of caution. Sometimes there are homeless people in that park. Ignore them and they shouldn't bother you.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
November '08, we watched the last night launch from a parking lot across US1 from the McDonalds. Didn't see the actual lift off from the ground, but we knew it was coming as the entire sky on the island lit up orange as the engines roared to life, and the shuttle cleared the treeline a few seconds later.
Doesn't work as well, or impress as much, for a daylight launch.

We were parked in same lot........

We were in same parking lot on Feb 7, 2010 for Endeavors scheduled launch....scrubbed
Back to parking lot next early morning Feb 8, 2010 for Endeavors launch at 4:14am ----Last Nightime Launch

Should have said "one of the last" launches after dark. I'll use the "I misspoke" reason that's so popular these days.
According to this site, the last night launch was Discovery, not Endeavour.
And it was April, not February?
It was in 2010.
Confusing?
The one we saw was spectacular. I have some rather grainy pics, so I won't bother posting them. I wasn't much of a night photog back then, or now, come to think of it.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/launch/night_launches.html