cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Indiana State Park

clinthia
Explorer
Explorer
The DW and I are taking a road trip and will be in Indiana first part of October. I am presently looking at these state park. Chain O'Lakes, Tippecanoe River and Prohetstown. Any information would be appreciated.
Clint
2007.5 Dodge 3500 4X4 Crewcab with 6.7 Cummins
2004 EC950 w/ slideout
2 Costco 6 volts
Yamaha EF1000IS
Kyocera solar panel
GO POWER 300 watt 12 volt PSW inverter
TorkLift tiedowns with Fastguns
Timbrens
Homemade bumpstops
The Schnauzers Madeline & Genevieve
4 REPLIES 4

INBellbuoy
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend Prophetstown, you probably won't need a lot of shade the first week of Oct.

We camped at Chain-O-Lakes when I was a kid, I haven't been back, it was not a great place to stay as a kid.

I'm not familiar w/ Tippecanoe River SP.
INBellbuoy, wife of 36 yrs, 19 yr old son, & Scruffy the Goldendoodle, 2007 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab, 2005 Lund 1800 Explorer w/ 90 hp Yamaha & Minn Kota I-Pilot Link , 2006 Host Yukon W/ Tent 80W solar panel

memgrove
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Chain o Lakes two weeks ago.

They have a very nice camp store with a lot of stuff to make it work if you forget something.

The bathrooms are old and the one near us had hot water problems (like NONE!) I just showered in our trailer.

The sites are mostly shaded and can be kind of small so watch the sizes when making reservations.

They have an old schoolhouse to tour on the grounds and several lakes to canoe or kayak but charge a $5.00 sticker fee per boat if you bring your own but also have some to rent.

They have two dump stations that were not busy when we were ready to leave.

We will visit this park again.
Mike
2006 Chevy 2500 4X4 crew cab Gasser
2013 Dutchmen Denali 311 BHS (Love the trailer HATE the manufacture!)

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Indiana State Parks If you click on a given campground it will show you pictures of each site.

Have not been to Chain-O-Lakes in years. Use to canoe there as a teenager. Told they have 30 and 50amp service but you'll probably have to run off you water tank and dump on way out.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Prophetstown is relatively new, so not a lot of shade. Very nice, big park with trails, riding paths, and a historical, working farm. Fhu sites, and electric only sites are carved out of the prairie. They are open; fhu sites a bit more secluded. Tippecanoe is an older, established park with mature trees and good shade. Huge, again with hiking paths and biking. In season, sandhill crane gathering ground is nearby. Thousands of them flock there. Another nice park, nice facilities. Outer loop of campground offers more space; inner loop seems a bit crowded. Have not been to chain of lakes.

Ps: big weekend festival in Lafayette first weekend of October, so check the Prophetstown site for availability. http://indianastateparks.reserveamerica.com/
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard