cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wow!!! National Parks!

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
ok I admit we didn't plan our grand canyon trip soon enough. Cant get into Trailer Village they only have up to 28ft sites left and although our trailer is considered 25ft, from bumper to hitch ball it is 28.5 ft. Anyway cant believe Mather cannot handle our trailer size. Our TT is not big!!!! Just so upset no one can handle us close to the canyon. Not even North rim. I know there are forest campgrounds, but we are not comfortable going too far from trailer since we travel with our 13yr old doxie. Anyway, thanks for listening or might say reading my disappointment. Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
20 REPLIES 20

elkhorn98
Explorer
Explorer
This is a pet peeve of mine. I wish reservations sites would just tell you the actual site length. My local county parks department does this and it eliminates all the confusion. CA State parks scares rvers away with their typical 24' max trailer length. I've stayed in their sites that were over 60' long and had no issues on the access road yet they had 24' max trailer length. My fifth wheel is a model 24 that is really 27' but towed is under 23' so what length do I use? Hooked to my truck I am 42' total. Sorry for the rant.
Elkhorn98
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison w/45 gal Transfer Flow Tank
RBW X16 Slider, Yamaha EF 2400iS
2007 Springdale 245 5th Wheel - E-Z Flex HD Suspension & Mobile Outfitters Shock Kit Upgrades
with Firestone Transforce Ht Lt 2357515 tires

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
ok to clear the air abit, I called the Trailer Village campground,thanks to happycamper who gave me the number. This is exactly what I was told: the sites that are up to 28ft. will actually hold a 30ft rig and have ample room. That #of feet does not include your vehichle, just camper. so no you don't add your TV and TT together, thank goodness!!! So now I am a "Happy Camper"! Thanks again everyone ๐Ÿ™‚ Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the info. so, we changed reservations to Trailer Village. I did reserve for up to a 28ft site, cause our unit is a 246RKS Freedom Express LTZ. I love this forum, can always count on fellow campers for great advise!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been to Trailer Village twice. Neither time with a reservation. We travel with a just <36' 5er. TV is full sized dually. Tight fit but got in OK each time,

We took a pedal around Mather Campground & saw a few sites we could have stuffed ourselves in there too, though access roads are tight.

Trailer Village is carpark camping. A mid 20s or so TT is easy.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I have stayed at several hundred campgrounds since starting this hobby decades ago. I have seen countless examples of government run parks where the claimed "maximum vehicle length" was absurd. I have talked to a ranger in a state park where the "handicap accessible" site we were assigned was literally the top of a small gravel lump with steep slopes in all directions, while the next block over there were dozens of flat, paved, unoccupied sites. He apologized, and said that the parks dept. and Reserve America seem determined to make sure that the good sites in this park stay empty since all of them were "to short" for much of anything but a pop-up. I have seen sites in Fl. state parks that were big enough to put a nice house, drive and yard in, and show as "28'max" online. The one thing that I have never seen, read about, or even heard of as an issue is EVER having a host, or employee, head out to the driveway to measure a rig. Had it happen when boarding a ferry, but in the real world an RV is as long as you say it is.
Finally, claiming that somebody is "lying" and might be turned away, over a few inches is a bit of drama.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
You are probably only actually about 18-20' from the tires to the coupler. If there is space behind you, you could always just back the tires to the edge/curb.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

crah
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Tara

I would highly suggest you book a spot at mathers. Ten x is a nice campground but mathers is just as nice and much more convenient being in the park. I have stayed in mathers about 2 dozen times in a 28 ft 5th wheel. The spots there are huge and they do not measure your rv. The measurements at that campground is a rough guideline. If the spot says 28ft, it means it can hold an rv at least 35 ft. You will kick yourself for not staying at mathers once you check out how big the campground is. Let me know if you have any questions.
2003 Holiday Rambler Scepter 36PST 3 Slide
Cummins ISC 350/Side Radiator
Banks System
2011 Buick Enclave Towed
Ready Brute/Ready Brake/Blue Ox

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Tara, glad you found a site but in the future, if your RV is 28.5' and a 28' site is available, you would definitely fit into the site. 6" is not going to make a difference and no campground will actually measure you! Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

HappyCamper89
Explorer
Explorer
We saw TenX while we were there. It looked very nice and is very convenient to the Canyon. Good choice!!
2009 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB
2007 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Extended Cab Duramax

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Wow u guys I didn't mean to start an argument. Thanks ev1 for your responses, they are very much appreciated. I didn't take it that anyone one advised us to lie, which I don't and won't,but with that aside I made res at ten-x. Thanks again! Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m not much for โ€œabsolutesโ€. If the site said 28โ€™ Iโ€™d probably go for it, I doubt another 6โ€ will make or break it. But Iโ€™d have to be prepared for plan B if I 28โ€™ were the absolute max that would fit.

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
Just the Facts, Ma'am!

Plan your visit - Grand Canyon South Rim

GC North Rim

GC Village

National Park Campground Info
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever the max limit is that would be how big my bigger trailer would be haha...
I would definitely state what the model number shows in the specifications. My fifth wheel is a 8528RESS model number so 28 feet is the listed spec length. Of course when you tape this out it is usually a bit longer...

I see you size trailer in those areas all the time when I was there a few years back...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Make the res. Tell them you are 25 ft. The spot will hold your TT and TV. Go and enjoy.

X-2
They are notorious for UNDER sizing their sites. Having worked in Federal concessionaire CGs, I always figure the sites will hold at least 10' more than they post.

Make your reservations and go. If the TV will not fit on site, they always have overflow parking for the TV.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today