cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone Holiday RV campground

Old_Teacher
Explorer
Explorer
Starting planning for a trip to Yellowstone NP next year. Would like any first hand accounts of your stay at this park. It is about 12 miles west of West Yellowstone.
Thanks
Okay,jokes over.
Now bring back the Constitution.
Proud parent of a U.S. Soldier!
11 REPLIES 11

san_elijo_kb
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from yellowstone three weeks ago. My opinion of fishing bridge is not good. Very tight spaces when full. I arrived late and could not hook up due to neighbors vehicle behind me blocking me from backing up the required distance needed. It was late and did not want to wake him, although I should have.Only restrooms were far from my site. shower facilities were quite a walk.Got out of there first thing in am. As mentioned I would recommend moving around to different campgrounds depending on how much time you have. Bridge bay campground is close to fishing bridge and much nicer imho. Madison campground is spectacular. As far as going through Jackson, beautiful scenery going that way , however we came into the park from the south through Jackson and it took us literally three times as long as we had planned . A long leisurely scenic drive if you have the time. hope this helps. kb
Ken and Mary Ann

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
Why waste your time driving into and out of the park? Stay closer. Or, better yet stay inside the park with full hookups at Fishing Bridge RV Campground.

+1 for Fishing Bridge...although bear in mind the snowy season at that elevation is quite long. We stayed there in mid-May last year, and 4+ foot snow banks around the sites. Yellowstone Lake was still frozen over too!

2014 Heartland Trail Runner 35' TT + ProPride 3P
2012 F350 SRW Power Stroke Diesel FX4 Long Bed
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.

drillagent
Explorer
Explorer
We spent nine days at Fishing Bridge last month. If you're planning a trip next year, make your reservations now. Staying in West Yellowstone will be quite a drive. Even staying at Fishing Bridge, we averaged 133 miles per day. And the max speed in the park is 45mph. I would do Grand Teton last before heading to RMNP. You'll have to go through it anyway to head south. Plus it will give you a chance to see Jackson, WY. When you leave, I would go through Moran. Jackson is very tight with heavy traffic. We came through there on our way into the park. White knuckled the whole way and forced to go straight through the middle of town. Not sure how many mirrors I took off of parked cars.

We took a day and went to West Yellowstone. If you like high priced tourist traps with not much in the way of restaurants, it's ok. Ate at one place and paid $15 for a dried out burger. Not really worth the hour + drive. The campgrounds there were large with all the amenities. But absolutely no trees. The best part of Fishing Bridge was being in the tall pines and the fresh pine smell in the morning. But these are just my opinions.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd stay at Colter Bay campground in Grand Teton and drive into the park from there. Lots more room and pull throughs at Colter Bay. And you're not far from Jackson if you want shopping.
TV: 2012 F250 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel w/air lift suspension
CHU: 2012 Keystone Montana 3750FL
Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball w/ Companion 3500
Family: Me, HH6, a Boston Terrier, a Shiba Inu

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
From Yellowstone you'll go to Grand Teton....wondering why you'd head up to the Yellowstone area again?

We haven't stayed here but those have think this is a very nice place. If you need to unwind this might be the place and it would be on you way out of the area - Dubois, Wyoming. It's on the Wind River with large sites. It's pricey though.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/wyoming/dubois/the-longhorn-ranch-lodge-rv-resort
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Old_Teacher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replays. We are staying at Fishing Bridge for 5 days, Grand Teton for 2 days and thought a few days to relax at Yellowstone Holiday park before heading to RMNP in Colorado and visiting family in Colorado Springs a new Durango.
Okay,jokes over.
Now bring back the Constitution.
Proud parent of a U.S. Soldier!

exgman
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there last year for 2+ weeks. It's a nice park, on the water with boat docks. All sites have a picnic table and some have a fire ring. The sites are roomy and level. They have a nice office with an attached store. Thats the good part. They advertise being open until 9/15. After that they can close at any time. And, no matter what the circumstances, they pick up all the fire rings and picnic tables on 9/15. We did talk them in to bringing them back until we left. They have rules for the park and reservations and they stick to them. If you're going with the idea of seeing the park everyday, it's about a 15-20 minute drive to the west gate. It's a good jumping off point to explore Ennis, Bozeman, and Earthquake Lake. The NP is a great attraction, but the surrounding area has a lot of things to do and see also.
Dan
14 American Coach Eagle
DD-13 500 HP
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are interested in seeing the entire area around West Yellowstone, including the park, then it would probably be a fine place to stay. Otherwise, stay in the park (remember, only Fishing Bridge RV Park has hookups inside the park boundaries) or on the edge of it. Grizzly is a fine CG; we have enjoyed our stays there. As others have noted, it's quite a drive - and much of it not at highway speeds.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Stay in the Park...

We visit Yellowstone about every 2 or 3 years after a week stay in the Tetons. To cut down on travel time with the toad, I spend 4 nights at Canyon, then move to Madison for 4 nights. Then head up to Mammoth for 4 nights. All this is dry camping. At Canyon, you do get 2 free showers a day. We then explore the sights near each campground.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Why waste your time driving into and out of the park? Stay closer. Or, better yet stay inside the park with full hookups at Fishing Bridge RV Campground.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Imho one of the prettier parks in the area. A bit of a drive from the park. You can see it from another campers perspective Here
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
That would make the drive one way to Madison Junction 32 miles and you are just in the park at Grand Look road.

Grizzly in West Yellowstone would save you 22 miles a day,

People who have not been there yet just can not comprehend how big Yellowstone is
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks