cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone this month

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short leaving MH in Seattle and taking toad back east, what is to do / see in Yellowstone in the next two weeks. I have only been there in May before.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks
15 REPLIES 15

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Did you get up to Yellowstone like you were planning? We took a little two-day trip there last week and really enjoyed it. Only drove a car since we were only going two days.
John A. Lichty

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
Oakman wrote:
Jim Shoe wrote:
I've been going to YNP since I was a child. On a couple of my last trips after I retired, I found it fascinating to watch folks that think they're in an open air zoo where all the animals are tame.
Saw a woman complaining to a Ranger about the huge dent in her car door. She attempted to drive through a herd of Bison and their babies while they crossed the road. I also spotted a guy, armed with his trusty camera, walk up past the rear end of a male elk so he could get a pic of the elk's head. He was less than a yard away from a rather impressive rack of antlers. Neither human was hurt.
A Ranger that I talked to said that they spend a good part of their day explaining to visitors that they aren't in a petting zoo or are walking around pools of steaming water safe for bathing.
There are people on this earth that are too dumb to live and spend their lives proving it.

Yes, too many people are clueless when it comes to wildlife.

And that's no bull...
a_flyfisher

Oakman
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
I've been going to YNP since I was a child. On a couple of my last trips after I retired, I found it fascinating to watch folks that think they're in an open air zoo where all the animals are tame.
Saw a woman complaining to a Ranger about the huge dent in her car door. She attempted to drive through a herd of Bison and their babies while they crossed the road. I also spotted a guy, armed with his trusty camera, walk up past the rear end of a male elk so he could get a pic of the elk's head. He was less than a yard away from a rather impressive rack of antlers. Neither human was hurt.
A Ranger that I talked to said that they spend a good part of their day explaining to visitors that they aren't in a petting zoo or are walking around pools of steaming water safe for bathing.
There are people on this earth that are too dumb to live and spend their lives proving it.

Yes, too many people are clueless when it comes to wildlife.

2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
newk wrote:
I read today that all the roads in Yellowstone and Teton NP are open except for Dunraven Pass. The story said park employees were back on the job, but they expected it would take 3 days to get everything opened up again, just as it took 3 days to close it down. Then it'll be closed again in a couple weeks.

Weather for the coming week looks pretty good, but keep an eye out for changes. Your escape routes could diminish quickly with a good mountain storm.

Elk should be in rut. That's always fun... just keep a good distance from them, as the bulls can be pretty cantankerous this time of the year. You might also find some good fall colors. Colors are very late arriving in eastern Wyoming this year.

I'd expect most of the Park to be closed by Nov. 1 at the latest. The Black Hills is at a lower elevation, so you might enjoy that if the weather chases you out of Yellowstone. Most of the Hills, except for private tourist attractions, is open all year.

Thanks so much for the on scene report
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Mammoth campground in the park is open year-round. No hookups though. It's the best area to see elk.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

newk
Explorer
Explorer
I read today that all the roads in Yellowstone and Teton NP are open except for Dunraven Pass. The story said park employees were back on the job, but they expected it would take 3 days to get everything opened up again, just as it took 3 days to close it down. Then it'll be closed again in a couple weeks.

Weather for the coming week looks pretty good, but keep an eye out for changes. Your escape routes could diminish quickly with a good mountain storm.

Elk should be in rut. That's always fun... just keep a good distance from them, as the bulls can be pretty cantankerous this time of the year. You might also find some good fall colors. Colors are very late arriving in eastern Wyoming this year.

I'd expect most of the Park to be closed by Nov. 1 at the latest. The Black Hills is at a lower elevation, so you might enjoy that if the weather chases you out of Yellowstone. Most of the Hills, except for private tourist attractions, is open all year.

RonWSl
Explorer
Explorer
You may well expect snow and road closures. We got to Yellowstone on Halloween a few years ago and within 2 or 3 days it had snowed a good amount and many of the roads in the park had been closed to traffic. It was very cold and windy for most of our visit there as well. Saw very little wildlife. BUT, I wouldn't have missed it for anything - still a Great place to visit.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can dodge the snow, autumn is a great time to visit -- very cool temps, no bugs. And the slanting sunlight this time of year is great for photography -- this shot was taken almost exactly two years ago today:

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
When the snow starts falling, they have a time when most of the Park is closed to vehicle traffic. They then plow the snow so the snow machines can start using the roads for the winter. I do believe that part of the Park, up by Madison and Mammoth is open to vehicle traffic year-round as they don't get quite as much snow as the majority of the Park. Good luck, the Park is a great place to visit, no matter what time of year.
John A. Lichty

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
The other day West Yellowstone was the lowest temp in the country at 12 degrees. Not for me.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle
Altitude 122 ft.
Avg. Low Temp. in Nov. 42 degrees
Avg. snowfall 0.7 inches

Yellowstone
Altitude 7900 ft.
Avg. Low Temp. in Nov. 12 degrees
Avg. snowfall in Nov. 21 inches

I'd call first. It may be closed to visitor traffic.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Well...you can do and see everything in October as you could in your May trip. Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel