Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/environment/article72903937.html
40 REPLIES 40

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
saw someone go out to pet a bull buffalo at the Wichita Mountains. I felt dumb enough riding a motorcycle there. Not as dumb as him.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
The most common "last words" in the English language: "Hey, guys, watch THIS!"

Or, "Hey guys, hold my beer, watch this."
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
The Theory of Natural Selection at work.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Back in 2000, we were at Yellowstone and came upon the usual wildlife traffic jam. We parked on the side and saw a Grizzly walking along a creek about 300 yards or so from the road. A ranger was there and everybody was behaving themselves. A minivan pulls up, the side door opens, and 4 little kids get out and start running across the field towards the bear as the parents held their video recorder. The park ranger ran back to her car and got a rifle. She screamed at the kids who stopped about halfway to the bear. The ranger then proceeded to ream out the parents.

In 2014, an attendant at Trailer Village in the Grand Canyon told me they had an incident a few days prior where a father put his kid on the back of an elk to "ride it". This was in September during rut. Amazing.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
jamesu wrote:
camperforlife wrote:
We were walking one of the boardwalks in Yellowstone when we heard a tremendous roar getting louder and louder. We soon realized that we were in direct line of a running heard of Bison.

Being raised around cattle we were concerned but not panicked. The heard of cows and calves stopped with the three of us smack dab in the middle of about 50 of them.

We had the advantage being on the board walk that was elevated about 18 inches but there were Bison on both sides and a few on the walk itself.

We simply stayed together as a larger mass, enjoyed the view for a couple minutes, then slowly walked through the heard allowing the calves to rejoin the cows before passing.

Common sense and knowledge of cattle made it one very memorable moment.

I "heard" a "herd" of bison. (Please indulge me, Moderator. It's a teachable moment.)

Probably that dang auto correct!

Only three typos, I'm getting much better and consistant!:B

I taught 9th grade English for 30 years. :W
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
"You can't fix stupid" maybe we can't, but nature will take care of it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Years ago when we lived in Montana,probably the mid 70's, we saw a mommy put honey on the toddlers face so they could get a picture of a bear liking it off..... I am serious.
When I worked in the park in the 60s, we heard stories and this was one of them. I often wondered if anyone really actually did that...

Tourist: " Where do they put faces in the winter?"
Me, straight-faced: "In the basement of the Visitor Center"
Tourist: "Did you hear that, Martha? The ranger said..."

LOL! Glad to see rangers do the same thing "savages" do. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
jamesu wrote:
camperforlife wrote:
We were walking one of the boardwalks in Yellowstone when we heard a tremendous roar getting louder and louder. We soon realized that we were in direct line of a running heard of Bison.

Being raised around cattle we were concerned but not panicked. The heard of cows and calves stopped with the three of us smack dab in the middle of about 50 of them.

We had the advantage being on the board walk that was elevated about 18 inches but there were Bison on both sides and a few on the walk itself.

We simply stayed together as a larger mass, enjoyed the view for a couple minutes, then slowly walked through the heard allowing the calves to rejoin the cows before passing.

I "heard" a "herd" of bison. (Please indulge me, Moderator. It's a teachable moment.)

Only three typos, I'm getting much better and consistant!:B

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago when we lived in Montana,probably the mid 70's, we saw a mommy put honey on the toddlers face so they could get a picture of a bear liking it off..... I am serious. There were quite a few stupid moves by people in the 13 years I was there.....
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The most common "last words" in the English language: "Hey, guys, watch THIS!"
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
jamesu wrote:
camperforlife wrote:

2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
We have spent about 6 weeks during June and July in the Yellowstone area for the last 8 years. Each year it only seems to get worse. And those "selfie sticks" have a lot to do with it and drives us nuts. I would love to see the Park Service put up signs that would inform idiots that they are not entering SeaWorld, Disney, etc. It probably wouldn't help but you sure could make sport of the idiots. Another thing that upsets us is the dummies getting off the boardwalks. Burn, baby, burn!

that's assuming that they can read.......
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
it just makes you wonder what these city folks are smoking. can they get any dumber