cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yuma foothills area?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We have never been to Yuma. We would like to find a nice flu 55+ rv park for Jan & part of Feb. We prefer away from planes, trains & freeways if possible. Suggestions?
12 REPLIES 12

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
This was just our 12th winter in Yuma. On the north side of I-8 the railroad is nearby as far as Fortuna Rd. Both border patrol helicopters, military helicopters, ospreys, F-16, F-35 all fly the area. They bring in troops from all over the US for training a couple of times a year. They use the Barry Goldwater Range, Schools in the city of Yuma for training. Refueling exercises, touch and goes. Also include the crop dusters usually during the night. They usually follow I-8 towards Dome Valley (Wellton) and dust between I-8 and Rt95. If you are willing to spend the bucks for what you are talking about, I'd suggest the Palms, Westwind, Country Roads, and a brand new one that just opened in November, Carefree Village. Being you are coming in prime time, the rates reflect it. But no two RV parks in Yuma are created equal and this includes low, medium, and high end. And EVERY park is flown over!!

I live in the sub division right next to Country Roads. Citrus View, and yes it can get noisy from MCAS and the airport. The places mentioned are the high end parks in Yuma and very nice. The noise is only now and then and brief. Sound of freedom to me. Come and look!
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
This was just our 12th winter in Yuma. On the north side of I-8 the railroad is nearby as far as Fortuna Rd. Both border patrol helicopters, military helicopters, ospreys, F-16, F-35 all fly the area. They bring in troops from all over the US for training a couple of times a year. They use the Barry Goldwater Range, Schools in the city of Yuma for training. Refueling exercises, touch and goes. Also include the crop dusters usually during the night. They usually follow I-8 towards Dome Valley (Wellton) and dust between I-8 and Rt95. If you are willing to spend the bucks for what you are talking about, I'd suggest the Palms, Westwind, Country Roads, and a brand new one that just opened in November, Carefree Village. Being you are coming in prime time, the rates reflect it. But no two RV parks in Yuma are created equal and this includes low, medium, and high end. And EVERY park is flown over!!

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I love the sound of our boys flying the jets over us. we always look up and watch them. it sounds like they are in the lot with you.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Since the Marine Corps Air Station is located SE of Yuma, there will likely be noise from fighter jets anywhere in the area. A lot of helicopter traffic, too. (I happen to like the scream and roar of an F-16 but not everyone does. ;))
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
We did the Foothills for the first time this Jan/Feb, we were on a private lot shared with friends. The commercial parks with activities seemed to be huge and most near the freeway. Overnight temps in the 60s for Feb. are nice. We arrived after Christmas and we did have a light frost on night, like we had in Graham Tuesday night.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
It's pretty hard to get away from most noise as Yuma is a close to the border and that creates more air noise especially at night from helicopters flying patrol.More noticeable in the south east foothills on the private lots.I found it interesting but some didn't.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Since we haven't yet experienced an Rv resort, we think we want to try one this time.
I am afraid to just wing it in February.

The Walmart with the fire is the one by the mall & not the newer one on South hill. The one with the fire is in need of refreshing anyway....

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Come check it out first! Get a weekly some where, then go look for yourself. To much from A-Z to not look. Was your Wal-Mart burned down completely?
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We really want to experience one of the nicer or newer rv parks with scheduled activities for our first visit. It sound like we will want farther out of town....

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
A lot(maybe most)of the RV parks in Yuma have noise. Check out the quietest one in Yuma, which is Cocopah RV Resort. We have stayed there for the past 10 seasons. We think it has the most "bang for the buck". It is QUIET. PM me for further info.
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of RV spaces for rent in the Foothills by individuals. The lots are large enough for 2 maybe 3 RV's. The owner generally stays on one, rents the other. Some will have a casita with a washer and dryer. Rent starts about $275 to $350. depending if utilities are included.
Find them on Craigslist. Google the area in satellite view and you can get the layout out the area. Most all lots will have a wall around them. Real private.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Best RV parks are about 8 miles east of Yuma. You would be near a freeway. There is a Walmart close by. Other choice is south close to Yuma where you have lots of traffic noise and worse heavy jet noise of low flying aircraft. We stayed south of Yuma and hated it. It was also our first Yuma trip. In addition the RV parks south are older and spaces very small. More like trailer parks that squeezes in a few RVs. We drove out and looked at RV parks east and will be staying out there next time. JMHO