Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Zion- Mount Carmel Highway Closed Due to Major Rock Fall

BozemanTrail
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.nps.gov/zion/learn/news/zmchighwayclosed.htm

"
Springdale, UT- A major rock fall has closed the Zion- Mount Carmel Highway, State Route 9, in Zion National Park as of early this morning. Effective immediately, the Zion-Mount Carmel Highway, between Canyon Junction and the East Entrance is closed. A significant rock fall occurred on the switchback near the Pine Creek Bridge and is blocking both sides of the road. Crews will have to blast the rock and use heavy machinery to clear it. Due to the rock fall, emergency response is not available on the east side of Zion. The Scenic Drive and Zion Canyon remains open.

Alternate east and west routes are available via Highway 59 from Hurricane, Utah to Fredonia, Arizona and Highway 14 from Cedar City, Utah to Long Valley Junction and Highway 89. People traveling to the park may access the park by traveling east on State Route 9 from Interstate 15. All park facilities including the visitor center, museum, campgrounds, and shuttle buses are open and operating as normal.

The park is expecting to reopen State Route 9 later this evening. Traffic advisory signs will be placed near Mt. Carmel Junction, near Virgin, Utah, and near the park's South Entrance. The park's short 1610 am radio broadcast systems at Mt. Carmel Junction, Hurricane, Utah, and both park entrances will also broadcast the status of the closure."
7 REPLIES 7

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Two people were killed in the area last year when a rock fell on their house.
We still spend our winters there. You would think that it would have taught us a lesson when we drove by the house on our way to Zion.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Homeowners exclusion? In a rock fall area? Do his clients carry their homes around on their backs?

Gotta run out quick and buy a rock-fall policy that excludes areas where rocks actually fall. Allstate probably has a great one for Kansas residents. Great idea.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a relative in homeowners insurance business... he mentioned that the entire area around there is a "no policy" area for his company due to rockfalls.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! That's scary!
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a picture of the Rocks.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...that's a big chunk of rock there in the road.

Thanks for posting that.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yikes! that is one serious "Rock". glad no one was hurt!
It would be a shame to be stuck in the park! "hey boss..... I can`t come in for a few days!"
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!