cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

a better door hold-back device?

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
To hold the trailer door open, my trailer came with one of the plastic knobs that sort of snaps into a groove. It doesn't hold the door securely in a strong, swirling wind. The wind would push hard enough on the door to make the ball go backward in the groove, past the narrow spot, and pop out. I am tired of having it slam shut (or hit me) when I least expect it.

I've had experience with the metal t-shaped hold backs, and they can detach in a strong wind as well. So I don't want one of those.

Can anyone suggest a more secure hold-back device that won't let loose in high wind, yet is easy to engage/disengage with one hand?
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point
27 REPLIES 27

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
My truck camper doesn't have a hold device. It has what they call a friction hinge, the door stay exactly where you put it. It took a bit to get used to as it takes a bit more effort to move the door but now I quite like it. Not sure if a kit to fit other doors is available or not.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

baylito99
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problem with them holding door. I don't like getting out in the rain to close the door.

I leave my front bedroom open when I sleep for air flow, this section is not covered by the awning and when it rains it has to come closed, and if the wind is blowing the awning has to come in too, so having magnetic door latch would eliminate me getting wet.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chris Bryant wrote:
4x4van wrote:
Amazing to me that people will spend good money trying to replace something, when the only problem is the incorrect installation/use of the part they already have. To each his own, I guess.

Those plastic T-bar hold backs are not positive latch, even when perfectly installed and before they rot in the sunlight. Of course, a magnetic holder is not positive latch either.

When the T-Bar latches are installed correctly (so that the arm pivots up & down), they ARE a positive latch. You physically have to raise the arm in order for it to unlatch; the wind cannot "lift" the arm. I have used the metal version of the T-bar latch for 27 years on 2 different motorhomes AND my enclosed trailer, and they have NEVER come unlatched, regardless of how hard the wind blew (I camp at Glamis, plenty of wind shaping the sand dunes). My new MH again has the T-bar latch (although plastic) that is installed correctly; the arm swings up & down. Going by the OP's description and without actually seeing a pic of his setup, I'm betting that his T-bar latch is installed so that the arm pivots sideways; that's the only way that it could be doing what he says it's doing. That is an incorrect installation; both of his pieces need to be rotated 90 degrees.

This is how it's supposed to be installed. Regardless of how hard the wind pushes or pulls the door, it cannot unlatch until the arm is physically lifted up. Pushing and/or pulling on the door puts NO upward pressure on the arm, therefore the T cannot come out of the large slot at the top.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Amazing to me that people will spend good money trying to replace something, when the only problem is the incorrect installation/use of the part they already have. To each his own, I guess.

Those plastic T-bar hold backs are not positive latch, even when perfectly installed and before they rot in the sunlight. Of course, a magnetic holder is not positive latch either.
-- Chris Bryant

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
baylito99 wrote:
what dept? at home depot

Where all the door knobs, drawer pulls, etc. are in the hardware dept.
Magnetic door stop
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

baylito99
Explorer
Explorer
what dept? at home depot

mrgreetis
Explorer
Explorer
baylito99, If you are referring to the magnetic one, I got mine at Home Depot. I also use one on the bathroom door to keep it open.

baylito99
Explorer
Explorer
Where can I buy or order this latch? Camping World does not have it.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have had one of those like pictured above, except ours is white, for the past several years. I mountedit just opposite with the stem on the trailer wall and the cup part on the door.

It will let the door loose if the wind is strong and blowing in the right direction. On days like that, I leave the standard T latch fastened also. Mine is also rusted slightly but that does not prevent it from working.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I've just ordered one of those aluminum latches. Looks like a great, sturdy holdback that should not ever slam me in the backside unexpectedly. That's real progress! ๐Ÿ™‚
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
DiploStrat wrote:
I use one of these. Simple and no moving parts or loose ends.

I installed one of these. Available in white, too. The magnet is rather strong and holds the door, but one hand can yank the door loose from the mechanism. I'm pretty pleased with the device, but the cup component has a little surface rust after a couple years. I mounted the stalk to our door and the receiving cup on the coach. The factory "U and T" latch is still operational, but it's very rarely used, since the magnetic catch was put in place.

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
X2

Yup, the one handed flip will come in time!

It's just one of those learning curves of being a seasoned RV'er! Soon you will be flipping the catch one handed like the rest of us! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:

The unit referenced by Chris Bryant might be very secure, but I think I've read that it takes two hands to latch and unlatch it. I need one hand just to hold the doggone door when it's blowing hard, and that only leaves me with one free hand (I'm not a mutant, lol). But I will have to see if I can look at one of these in person.

They are really easy to use one handed- the loop pushes the keeper out of the way when latching, then a thumb pushes the keeper back while you lift the loop off the peg.
-- Chris Bryant