cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding Rear Bumper Cargo Carrier

cal3san
Explorer
Explorer
The GF is looking to buy a 24 or 26 foot Class "C". She is already talking about carrying a bike or scooter for "getting around". Thought about adding 3 foot or so wide cargo carrier with pull out ramp that runs the length of the rear bumper? Got a photo you can share.

Thanks,

Cal
Cal - The "Lil' One" goes further on less gas

2112-Suzuki Equator Pickup
1996-1500 Goldwing Trike
2112-Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate Popup Camper
8 REPLIES 8

MrWizard
Some people put the bike on the back of the toad
In your case , I think a trailer is better, load the bike across the front of the tt, then load the jeep
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

trikepilot
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody know of a rack to hold a motorcycle and still let you tow a toad behind it. Blue Ox used to carry one and then discontinued it. I want to carry my bike and pull a jeep too.
1995 Jamboree Sport, towing a 2005 Ford Ranger, carrying a 2014 KTM 500EXC and a canoe

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it nice looking. Throughout the years I've seen soooo many RV's going down the road with all kinds of junk tied to the back end. Looks like a bunch of gypsies traveling around.

The newer light weight aluminum carriers look nice and practical.
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

cal3san
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the inputs.

Think I'm going to recommend the hitch carrier with sliding ramp for those times I'm not traveling with her. It will be easier for her to load and unload the scooter by herself. Also, at destinations where she'll be staying for an extended period she'll be able to take the carrier off to prevent "bumping into in the middle of the night".

When I travel with her she can put the scooter on the trailer we'll be towing that will have my Goldwing trike.

Cal
Cal - The "Lil' One" goes further on less gas

2112-Suzuki Equator Pickup
1996-1500 Goldwing Trike
2112-Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate Popup Camper

MrWizard
we did this with one class A, modified a cargo rack to carry,
two 49cc honda express mopeds
then modified again to carry one 80cc scooter

did this with another one
did not work out very well, hard to load and unload
that ladder rack style is strictly dirt bike carrier

this is what we have now
its called a "tilt-A-rack"
the ramps is built in, the rack tilts for loading and unloading

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Cargo carrier with ramp or Motorcycle carrier

HERE or HERE

Chances are you will need to add a receiver hitch & re-enforce the rear bumper to the frame of the coach.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a CLASS-C, but my Outback came from the factory with a small hitch already welded to the frame. (I forget the size, it's the small one).

One of the first things I did when we got the camper was to get a carrier for it. It does not have a ramp for an automated scooter, instead we got the sides on it to make a cage.

The first thing I noticed however, was all the wiggle it had. With the single point of contact (the receiver) that came factory installed on the camper. However, it had so much wiggle in it, the ends could move a good 6-9 inches up and down. This was not acceptable.

So I ended up bolting a couple of 2x4's to each side (on the bottom) of the carrier. The bottom of the carrier matched to the top of the square bumper tube just perfect if I used my old bumper mounted square hitch receiver from my previous camper. By making the 2x4 an extension to reach the top of the bumper on both ends, the entire unit became incredibly stable. We've used the carrier many times. The weight of the carrier is actually on the hitch. The 2 side 2x4's are just for balance. I'm sure they carry some weight when it wants to wiggle, but so far, after 18 months of owning this camper, it's worked pretty good.

By the way, I got the carrier at TSC (Tractor Supply Company).

EDIT? What do I carry in those two tubs? The long one are the sewer hoses ... I have a bunch of them in there for just about any configuration. The short one holds the water hoses. The carrier is perfect if we have to pack up after a rain. Just roll the rug and let it drip there, keeps the bed of the truck clean and dry and don't have to store it in the trailer either (if it's wet).

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
I Had mine built Cost about $300. I can Carry
400 lb motorcycle. Its welded to the frame.
26ft Tioga.E450.
I use a folding Aluminum ramp to load.
Bob