cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Astroturf on step bar: keeps the truck a little cleaner

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sort of embarrassed to post this -- it is so simple -- just a strip of astroturf and some heavy duty cable ties:

The idea is pretty obvious -- we often travel in muddy/sandy/snowy terrain, and there is no pavement to wipe your feet on, before hopping into the truck. So first I clean one boot, then hop in and clean the other one. The dirt that I have wiped onto the astroturf usually comes off when we are driving. It is not a perfect solution, but the truck gets less dirty than it would without the astroturf.

We have been using this for almost ten years -- when we had an SUV, I used sheet metal screws to fasten the rug to the running board. When we got the truck, I just strapped them onto the step bars (which some folks call nerf bars, I am told).

By the way, as far as I can tell, no one else has ever posted this idea, anywhere on the Web. I am surprised -- this is not complicated. (Maybe I am searching under the wrong terms -- if anyone else can find an earlier posting of this, I would be interested to know how you found it. It is never too late to learn new Web tricks.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
15 REPLIES 15

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
Jim and Linda, I have a full set of weatherproof mats in the truck -- but we track in so much mud, crud, snow, and ice that I got tired of cleaning them so often.

Plus, if I didn't have the astroturf, I wouldn't have all those nice people smiling at me whenever they pass my truck on the road. (Or maybe they are laughing at me?? Hmmmm. . . . . )

weather proof and WeatherTech are entirely different. All you need to do is hose them off, but whatever floats your boat.

Jim

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim and Linda, I have a full set of weatherproof mats in the truck -- but we track in so much mud, crud, snow, and ice that I got tired of cleaning them so often.

Plus, if I didn't have the astroturf, I wouldn't have all those nice people smiling at me whenever they pass my truck on the road. (Or maybe they are laughing at me?? Hmmmm. . . . . )
About our trailer

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Jim, I am not sure double sided tape would do the job, especially in the rain. It's worth a try, though.

I would think that the outdoor tape would work, but you may be right. It looks like it might be a good compromise between using screws or bolts, and glue. May be I will get energetic and try it, but don't count on it!:B
Jim

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
A set of WeatherTech floor liners in your truck would solve crud problems, just wash them off when needed.

Jim

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim, I am not sure double sided tape would do the job, especially in the rain. It's worth a try, though.
About our trailer

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
You could probably use double sided tape....I may have to try it.Good idea!(your idea,not the tape.)
Jim

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, Milo, this is not exactly the classiest modification -- but if you have ever had boots full of thick red mud from the 4 Corners area (and I bet you have), this device can cut down on the mess inside the truck.
About our trailer

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks really kull...A redneck shoe cleaner..lol Gonna go out right now and get me a couple of em & strap em on mine. Hee Haw Thanks for the idea.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
It's your vehicle and you can do whatever you like to it.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, cb, I took a look at that product, and I am not impressed. First, it is bulky -- it sticks up quite a ways, while the astroturf is flat. Second, it is expensive -- 55 bucks! On the other hand, it looks less home-made than my astroturf, which gives my truck a certain redneck flavor (and not in a good way).
About our trailer

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
cb, how would I attach that to the step bar? Maybe with gorilla glue . . . .

I guess you could use glue...or just follow the mounting instructions.

"Unscrew end cap and remove brush Choose suitable mounting location on vehicle step or other location Drill mounting holes and select proper mounting hardware (screws (not included)). Drill one extra hole for drainage. Peel and stick rubber cushion pads to the bottom of the boot brush in the desired location. Secure boot brush to vehicle or other location using proper mounting hardware. Replace brush and install end cap"

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
old guy, you are right -- but all I had was the thick heavy duty white straps -- too cheap to go out and find and buy color coordinated straps! These are aircraft industry cable ties, able to withstand abuse.
About our trailer

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I think the idea is sane but I also think I would have used color coordinated tie straps.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
cb, how would I attach that to the step bar? Maybe with gorilla glue . . . .
About our trailer