cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bed Reading light ideas

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to install a reading light above the head of our bed. My wife would like to be able to sleep, while I read, so I want a reading light instead of using the overhead light in the bedroom.

Our bed like many has storage cabinet to each side of the bed and overhead the bed. I have an outlet under the side cabinets, no electrical above.

I am not extremely handy thus a full built in light is not in the cards, probably simpler the better.

I would like some ideas?

thanks,
Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
25 REPLIES 25

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Harbor Freight sell battery operated stick on LED pucks that can be rotated to direct the light where you need it. After trying several options I found these worked very well and conserve your house battery if you dry camp and no wiring is needed to install them.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I installed this style. Same reason. They work great for reading, and any time one of us needs a light during the night.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Same - almost Same Here
Or, you can do what I did for reading lights. I got a low voltage track light set and mounted the track under the over head cabinets. The, I took out the power supplies. This one had one per fixture. I put a pull chain switch in and changed the bulbs out to 5 watt MR16s. We both love the result.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look up lightwedge. I know they have them on Amazon. It lights up the page and not the room.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Back when I still read dead tree books, I used a clip-on LED light that clips right on the book to read in bed while my wife slept. Since switching to e-books it hasn't been needed...

LuminoLite
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
DeanRIowa wrote:
horton333 wrote:
I have a similar issue, I'm thinking of something like this.
Make something to clip it on, and recharge in the day. Running a wire may work better, but this is also portable so it can go outside.
there are various types, cheap enough if it doesn't work then ....

Interesting I looked at that very light, only not sure a place exists to clip it. I will check once I pull trailer out of storage.

thanks,
Dean

In my case I plan to make a place to clip it, held on the closet side with double sided tape in case I decide to move it later.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
The light in the link above would work, if you have a shelf that the clip will fit on. If the shelf is pretty high, the light may spread out enough to bother your wife. Look for one that has a long neck you can pull down to position.

If you are using a tablet or e-reader with its own light, you just need enough of a night light to see what you are generally doing. A small plug in light would work for that. It would be down low enough that it wouldn't be in your wife's face.

Funny note: my job is in IT Software Development and I do not own a tablet, wife and kids do, but I like good old paper.

Also many books I own and read, do not necessarily have a digital version.

thanks,
Dean
2016 Silverado

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
horton333 wrote:
Make something to clip it on, and recharge in the day. Running a wire may work better, but this is also portable so it can go outside.

Interesting I looked at that very light, only not sure a place exists to clip it. I will check once I pull trailer out of storage.

thanks,
Dean
2016 Silverado

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
The light in the link above would work, if you have a shelf that the clip will fit on. If the shelf is pretty high, the light may spread out enough to bother your wife. Look for one that has a long neck you can pull down to position.

If you are using a tablet or e-reader with its own light, you just need enough of a night light to see what you are generally doing. A small plug in light would work for that. It would be down low enough that it wouldn't be in your wife's face.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DeanRIowa wrote:
I would like some ideas?

Battery powered LED lights are available in all sorts of configurations so I would think you could find something suitable for this task.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

horton333
Explorer
Explorer

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.