cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bicycle Transport

EagleScout-USA
Explorer
Explorer
We are doing more towing with our Expedition, and less with the F150. Wondering if anyone had any ideas for bike transport inside the RV. We do not have a reinforced bumper, and would be reluctant to do a bumper tow. I also don't want to put additional weight on the rear end by using a trailer frame mount over the propane tanks. And getting bikes to the roof of the Expedition seems as if it would be a daunting task. I have heard of some mods where bikes are secured to the dining benches. Wondering if anyone has had any success in that capacity and would be willing to share any information.
13 REPLIES 13

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Anytime we carried bikes inside the camper instead of the back of the truck I'd just lean them at an angle against the end of the bed and they'd never shift at all. K.I.S.S. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding; as for locks to secure the bikes, it does not matter what lock you use because anyone with an portable angle angel grinder will cut any lock in less than 30 seconds.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
rear bumper mounted bike racks always brings this to mind

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1465741/Dashcam-captures-brazen-man-try-steal-bike-car.html

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
The 2x4 and fork mount is the best option. In my trailer I had a place to bolt to the floor, but I used unistrut instead so I could adjust the fork mount.
If no place to bolt down, then maybe no need to, just make the 2x4 long enough that they dont tip over.
Or, easiest way is to use moving blankets and lean bikes on something. Taking off front wheels helps to lower them, keep them from rolling and is easier to lean on each other (because yo can turn handlebars 90 degrees with wheel off and makes them flat).
I have used all three methods.
You will always be dealing with bikes in the way unless camper is just too big and yo have spare room.
Finding a way to haul them outside is best. A front receiver is great. I sometimes haul mine inside, then put on outside bike rack while I am there, Inside is more secure if you leave it unattended and inside is dry.
Do not DO NOT use the braided cables to lock them. These can be cut with scissors and every homeboy carries tools to cut these cables. Get the biggest, baddest chain or locking device you can.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
We transport our bikes inside our trailer. We throw an old blanked on the bed and lay one bike on the bed and one on the dinette table that is collapsed down during transit. They never move.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The front wheels of our bikes come off in about 10 sec. With the wheel removed they fit behind the back seat of our excursion.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quality bicycles are not mounted on the front of the TV or the back of the TT....or they are gone.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used a 4 bike version of this when the girls were little and taking 4 bikes with us
Something like this.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
What about a front mount rack on the truck?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I was always going to make a nice wood mounted front wheel clamp style rack like shown in the post above for two bikes, and put it on the folded down dinette in our old trailer but never got around to it. For every day camping use, I used a bike rack on a front hitch of my van. That was super easy and convenient, but when I was taking the 'nice' bikes along I'd just lay them down on the folded dinette with heavy shipping blankets between them. I didn't like the idea of my good bike getting all nasty on the front of the van. It worked fine for years.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
You could cut a 2x4 and bolt fork mounts on it. I haul our bikes in the back of my truck this way.

Or you could make a rack out of PVC piping by modifying the design in the URL below as used for the back of PU trucks. I made one and used it for two years before I changed and went with what's pictured above. REally easy to do and it cost me about $30. I do not have a picture of mine but here's the instructions.

https://www.utahmountainbiking.com/goodies/TruckbedBikeRack.htm
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
The make front mounts for the โ€œAโ€ frame at the front of the TT.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

firemedic1992
Explorer
Explorer
I lean my mountain bike up against my dining table (with a pillow to protect bike and table), then use a tie down around the frame of the bike and around the base of the table (which is bolted to the floor). It works well for me.