cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Guy, Small Bathroom

Unit505
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from another great weekend in the new travel trailer. 4 weekends in a row! My only real complaint is the bathroom being so cramped. When it's just me and my wife, she'll gladly step outside and give me the pleasure of mounting the throne with the bathroom door opened as long as I run the vent fan. With our little girl, it's a little much to ask to run outside when it's cold out or at 2am when she could walk in on me......If I had 6" more, OMG! There's no other "nice" way to put it, you have to be a contortionist to wipe with the door closed!

Has anyone ever expanded their facilities? I have a buddy who is a professional contractor and carpenter. I'm thinking of having him check out the travel trailer bathroom and expanding the door frame 6" outward. That is all that I need. No moving walls or tearing out the tub/shower. Just having the frame "Deepened" about 6" would make all of the difference in the world. Add some trim to take up the excess door frame outside of the bathroom to give it somewhat of a finished look.......no more strained muscles!
KC5JLB Jeff
KC5KDB Kim
46 REPLIES 46

Davehrn
Explorer
Explorer
I put 2 accordian doors in the hall outside the door on both sides
~dave
2010 Coachmen Mirada 32ds
DW: Nora
DD: Silas White German Shepherd / Husky Mix

notruffinit
Explorer
Explorer
I never use the throne in the RV for the "big job". I guess you could call my "black tank" a "yellow tank". ๐Ÿ™‚ It's also easier and cheaper than a remodel.
'11 Ram 3500 Cummins
'12 Cameo 34SB3

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of extending the door out 6". It'll look a whole lot nicer if/when you go to sell or trade it.

I'm really a bit surprised you bought this trailer. Your size aside, there is no way my 5' 1" wife would deal with a bathroom like that. I've never actually seen one that small aside from a wet bath type. I've seen 20' trailers with bathrooms that are easily twice that size.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Unit505
Explorer
Explorer
Curtains are not my thing for separating spaces. However, the folding door accomplishes the same thing in a bit more private and constructive way. If I can get a curved track for the door, at <$100, this would be a superb substitute for both the bath and bed room.
KC5JLB Jeff
KC5KDB Kim

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tiny toilet room in my Cruiser & I was able to move the toilet back 4". It involved redoing the plumbing in the basement & patching the vinyl flooring but it was so worth it.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyB wrote:
I don't think I have ever used ours... Our big trailer has plenty of room as you are facing the pot when you open the bathroom door. Wife uses it all the time... I got along just fine before those things were invented... I use the shower part...

Roy Ken

You use the shower part for ALL your bathroom needs???
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Jerallen
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I have no suggestions...but I will add that the next one we purchase I definitely WILL sit on the throne first- I cannot close the door on ours when I am sitting on the toilet- runs right into my knee so I feel your pain!

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from the suggestions already offered, Would "raising" the throne maybe 4-6" help any ? :h
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's exactly what we did when shopping. We sat on the toilet and got in the shower to make sure each would work for us. If they were too tight we quit looking at that model. We found that bathrooms with all items in them were not for us. We settled on a commode room separate and a shower and lavatory in the bedroom was much better for us.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the OP,
have your carpenter buddy look at it as you suggested. This might be a good first step.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
6'2" 290 here...Family of 4 in a 15' trailer.

I rigged up two hooks that allow me to hang a blanket to divide the trailer. That works in a pinch, but the only real solution is for me to do it at the appropriate times. I'll wait until they are all outside, or all sleeping. It really hasn't been that big of a deal for us.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
How about a curtain instead of the door, like Camp, Forrest, Camp said. Less sound deadening, but more room. Especially if you get a curved rail at the top.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Unit505
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, the pic posted is my exact bathroom. I thought about the shower curtain. As I sit on the throne typing this on my smart phone, lol, I'm thinking about a multi-fold door. One that hangs from a track mounted to the ceiling. I'll try to find a pic of what I'm talking about shortly.
KC5JLB Jeff
KC5KDB Kim

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 6'3" 300 lbs and I feel your pain....our first 5er we checked out thoroughly or we thought lol lol ......I now tell anyone buying a RV to go and sit on the throne.....and I mean sit there for a bit and pretend.... it's the only way you will know if you fit.. our current 5er is a lot better lol lol
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

Boot_Strap
Explorer
Explorer
6'3 270 I feel your pain. Just another day in the life of a big guy.
Nicole and Dan
3 rescue dogs. Poodle mix, jack Russell mix, German Shepherd
2015 Heartland North Trail 30rkdd.
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0 18's on nitto tg's. Cold air intake
Full time since 9/12. Mid to upper 30's. modest budget