cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custom RV'ing Rig Idea

Jaymancds
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, first off I am new to the site, but not to RVing. A quick bio to start then I'll get to the meat and potatoes. I am a 20 year old college student that's good with my hands and I can build anything. Ive been camping since 9 months before I was born, and love everything about it. Be it the mountains of the west, the hills of Missouri and Arkansas, or the beaches of the East Coast. I love it. I also am a car guy, more like I have an addiction to finding a cool way to get around. Through high school I restored a 1977 Camaro to the way I wanted it. Not even close to original and a little bit over the top, but its awesome in my mind and I don't plan on selling it.

On to the meat and potatoes, I had a thought early this afternoon about trying to find a cool way to RV. My family has been doing the 5th wheel thing for a long time, and that's been great, but I was looking for ways to make it "cool". (Im going off the deep end on useless details, skip a couple paragraphs to get to my question if you want) I came up with this idea to get a late 90s Peterbilt 379 with the sleeper, stretch it a mile, do all the ground effects and the custom work that goes into making an OTR truck cool. Lights, airbag kits, fenders etc. This crazy custom truck was my thinking for a tow vehicle. Most likely the wheelbase of the truck would be around the 305" mark.

Custom part 2: The trailer. Im sure we have all seen the OTR trucks that are well kept that have all aluminum trailers that are well polished and look amazing. My idea/thought was to find a trailer company that could make an RV trailer that when going down the highway looked exactly like one of those trailers. The only thing easily seen on the trailer from the outside would be the door handle. Everything else, slides, windows, vents etc. would be hidden in such a way that without looking hard, you would never see them. My thought would be a 48' trailer frame built to look regular but being kind of a "sleeper trailer" with slides and all of our camping ammeneties hidden inside.

So my questions, What does it take to get a semi truck registered as an RV in the state of MO? I know a CDL course wouldnt hurt as Ive never even sat inside of a big rig, but I dont want to have to deal with weight stations and all the other commercial driving laws.

Question 2: Does anyone know of a trailer manufacturer already doing something similar to the picture in my head?

I know many of you are only seeing dollar signs, and obviously as a college kid this is more of a down the road project, but if I have the info I can kind of prepare.

I also know that most campgrounds would be tough to navigate with a big rig, but Im not too concerned with that at this current juncture. So in a perfect world, can anybody help me out? Thanks in advance for the help, and thanks for trying to understand my crazy ideas.
27 REPLIES 27

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Naio wrote:

As a young woman, I do feel obliged to tell you that young women think that the bigger the truck a guy has, the smaller his other favorite possession is. Of course, that might not be something that you are concerned about ๐Ÿ™‚

Lol....that's funny and probably true.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
OK, as for "hidden windows"...how about fake siding that covers the entire length, then raises up (hinged at the top) to "reveal" the actual sides AND act as a full length awning at the same time?

I love e that! Gotta plan for windy days, tho, too.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
OK, as for "hidden windows"...how about fake siding that covers the entire length, then raises up (hinged at the top) to "reveal" the actual sides AND act as a full length awning at the same time?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
Go to- The
http://www.rvnetwork.com/ and the HDT area for your basics. Next is a company called SpaceCraft RV- http://spacecraftmfg.com/
Lastly, all this does cost money. A decent truck stretched to your idea, that is reliable, will be 150's+, the Space Craft is 200K plus.
Look here as well https://www.racingjunk.com/ for Toterhomes. There might be a truck already set to meet your needs.
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
2 choices

1- take your stretched Pete and turn into a showhauler/renegade/super C

2-look for short wheelbase Pete and have a nice trailer built

Don't mix the 2 it will be useless off the Interstate.

And the trailer your looking for can be built by Sundowner
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

MrWizard
LOL :B
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I think it would be really cool! Not something that would fit into any of the campgrounds that interest me, but if you like campgrounds that are set up for big rigs, then you would have the coolest rig there, by far.

As a young woman, I do feel obliged to tell you that young women think that the bigger the truck a guy has, the smaller his other favorite possession is. Of course, that might not be something that you are concerned about ๐Ÿ™‚
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jaymancds wrote:
The more I think about this the more I realize I might just want half of a Nascar trailer space for a vehicle and all of my ammeneties inside. Could it be possible that a trailer even as large as a semi could run out of space?

People in houses much larger than semi trailers run out of space and have to do things like build sheds or rent storage units (or, in extreme cases, actually get rid of stuff). Running out of space in a semi trailer is child's play!

Jaymancds
Explorer
Explorer
I had looked at super C rigs, or toterhomes as I am also a race fan so I have seen them before. That's not really where Im looking to go with this idea. The thought I have is to look simply like a very well kept owner/operator truck when rolling down the highway, but to have a super custom RV inside.

Its a lot of smoke and mirrors type of things, but that is kind of my thing. I want it too look very classy, not like a junk heap, but also not give away all of my creativity to anybody rolling down the road.

The only issue I'm starting to think about is that whenever I get somewhere I may not want to drive a 30' truck around. Perhaps a space for a drivable vehicle is in order. The frame of a semi trailer would be plenty strong for a space like that. Just spit balling, but maybe a 53' trailer would work best to haul all of my toys with a vehicle space in the back, storage built around the vehicle, and solar on the roof instead of the glass since that wouldn't really be a big space for relaxing.

The more I think about this the more I realize I might just want half of a Nascar trailer space for a vehicle and all of my ammeneties inside. Could it be possible that a trailer even as large as a semi could run out of space?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haul airplanes (disassembled of course) on a custom built โ€˜aircraft carrierโ€™ behind my bone stock 24โ€™ C on a very regular basis.

I get stopped on a regular basis by curious (bored) highways people wanting to know if Iโ€™m actually a commercial enterprise.

I can only imagine the scrutiny youโ€™d get if you actually looked like a transport truck.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Id sugest searching YT for
SEMI RV
lots of great ideas out there
Heres one

https://youtu.be/ti0Jh3MTq78

MrWizard
so you want to custom build a 30+ foot Super C RV
and then tow a custom one off 45ft 5th wheel

you can BUY a Super C, they already exist

and the HDTs, most are just 'tow' with a few amenities but not a full blown standalone RV

if 1/3 of this custom trailer is going to be glass,
go HDT and forget the RV conversion of the tow truck
you will need the power and weight saved to tow the extra heavy glass loaded trailer
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Funny, even closing in on 65, I day dream often about the ultimate custom rig and most times it involves a self fabricated Class 8 truck with every imaginable gadget one could think of! Truck body itself would be 45-50' and of course towing a matching stacker trailer with all the toys in it. I figure my day dreaming will end once I hit the 1/2 billion dollar lottery but until then the dream goes on.

Can't blame you for setting goals and having dreams....so good for you. Another good place to check things out is on RacingJunk.com under toters and truck conversion motorhomes.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Look at a refer trailer and that way you get the added insulation. Look into getting it wrapped. Many of the service trucks around here have the wrap and it is amazing how well it hides doors, windows an handles. Can't speak for there but in CA it is just a matter of a CHP inspection and DMV paperwork and fees to get it reclassified. Look into getting the Semi reclassified as a MH (may have to add a sink, bed, etc.) and that might also eliminate the need for a special CDL.

My FIL built a house on a 53' flatbed trailer so that he could easily move it someday. Someday never came but the trailer made a strong foundation.