cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DW is over the moon about this mod

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I recently put some LED light strips in the kitchen cupboard, which is long and dark and has three doors. I wired magnetic switches in parallel. Now whenever you open any cabinet door, the inside of the cupboard lights up so that you can see everything in there...no guessing! :C I also put a dimmable LED strip in the dinette for mood lighting. DW likes it much better than the overhead incandescent.

Now, here's the one that made her say, "I'm never getting rid of this trailer." I put some LED light strip under the bed in the storage area, again with a magnetic switch. Now, when she lifts the bed to get out her shoes or the toaster or a bottle of wine, the storage space lights up and she doesn't have to go to the Fibber McGee drawer for a flashlight. I just racked up some husband points!! :B
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue
7 REPLIES 7

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Any chance you can share a link for the magnetic switches? I've got a variety of lights that I want to rewire to come on when doors open.
I got mine here, which is not far from home for me. I also found them on Amazon. You want "normally closed" switches, so that when the magnet is placed near the switch (i.e., when the cabinet door is closed) the switch is open (i.e., no current flows to the light fixture), and when the door is open and the magnet is thus removed (I.e., normal condition of the switch) the switch is closed and current flows. Many magnetic switches, especially the ones used for alarm systems, are "normally open," so when a door or window opens, the circuit is broken, triggering the alarm. The easiest to use switches can be wired either as normally open or normally closed.
DW and Me

Life in Black and Blue

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Any chance you can share a link for the magnetic switches? I've got a variety of lights that I want to rewire to come on when doors open.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
CC-skipjack wrote:
So are the LED strips hard wired in or battery?

The bed is at the back end of the trailer, with an access door to the under-bed storage area, and the mfr. provided a light fixture inside that door. So, I tapped into the power there and ran a cable up to the foot end of the bed. I mounted the light strip on the underside of the bed platform and added a magnetic switch that completes the circuit when the bed platform is lifted up.
DW and Me

Life in Black and Blue

CC-skipjack
Explorer
Explorer
So are the LED strips hard wired in or battery?
Charlie K
CC-skipjack

2000 Cedar Creek 30RL / 2001 GMC 2500HD

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I gave my wife a headlamp to wear when she pokes into dark closets and cubbyholes. She was not real excited, though. Your solution is a lot better!!

My wife got a chuckle out of this. She says she is in full accord with your DW.
DW and Me

Life in Black and Blue

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I gave my wife a headlamp to wear when she pokes into dark closets and cubbyholes. She was not real excited, though. Your solution is a lot better!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did something similar but used individual LED clusters that have a motion detector to turn them on. I fixed them to the ceiling of each cabinet with velcro. The clusters are powered by three AA batteries that last most of the summer (depends if the grand daughter leaves the cabinet door open or not)

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....