cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easy way to install vinyl trim insert

wanether
Explorer
Explorer
Here it is 45 degrees and raining in Portland and I'm replacing the vinyl trim inserts on my Jayco. Installing the new stuff was slow going, I would pinch about 12 inches and then squeeze it in the channel, the temperature outside wasn't helping much either. After about 30 minutes of struggling and cursing I figured there had to be a better way.

I learned that the trick is to place about a 12 inch run in the bottom of the channel and then run a plastic tool along the top edge. Worked like a charm. The key is to angle the tool in the direction you'll be going, it helps with keeping it in place, see photos. I still had problem in the corners and ended up have to cut notches on the inside part of the curves, still didn't look 100%. Probably a combination of cold temps and maybe poor product, I used "RV Designer" insert from Camping World. The plastic tool is something I picked up at Harbor Freight, they come in a pack of assorted sizes.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum size.

12 REPLIES 12

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do, don't stretch the vinyl, it will pull back and appear to have shrunk. As you install, push back so as to use more material, that way as the vinyl shrinks it won't have a gap at the ends so soon.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I meant heat gun
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

towhead
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting. I've been wanting to do the same.
Dave
2005 GMC Duramax 4x4 crew cab
2005 Cruiser CF28RL

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I used the heat hunting from harbor freight
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

Bob91040
Explorer
Explorer
I used a hair dryer to soften the vinyl trim up.and it made it real easy to install.

goukcats
Explorer
Explorer
I deliberately waited until the temps dropped to around 60 before repairing mine. The originals shrunk so bad that I assumed they were stretched because of warm temps during install. Time will tell if my theory is correct. I used a plastic putty knife because I wasn't smart enough to think of the roller. Good idea!
Wayne & Sheryl
Plus Ollie & Sophie
(they don't know they're dogs)
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
2015 Columbus 320

"Where ever you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanether wrote:
Here it is 45 degrees and raining in Portland and I'm replacing the vinyl trim inserts on my Jayco. Installing the new stuff was slow going, I would pinch about 12 inches and then squeeze it in the channel, the temperature outside wasn't helping much either. After about 30 minutes of struggling and cursing I figured there had to be a better way.

I learned that the trick is to place about a 12 inch run in the bottom of the channel and then run a plastic tool along the top edge. Worked like a charm. The key is to angle the tool in the direction you'll be going, it helps with keeping it in place, see photos. I still had problem in the corners and ended up have to cut notches on the inside part of the curves, still didn't look 100%. Probably a combination of cold temps and maybe poor product, I used "RV Designer" insert from Camping World. The plastic tool is something I picked up at Harbor Freight, they come in a pack of assorted sizes.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum size.

Even better and what a lot of the insert sellers recommend is the screen door molding insert tool that has the plastic wheels on each end that are "V" shaped and some have the edge with a slight "U" in them to hold the rubber screen door molding in place better. You can get these are your local Lowe's/HD or hardware store. The does the same as you plastic trim tool, but it glides over the molding much smoother and you can apply the correct pressure without the tool "grabbing" and being hard to move down the molding. The wheel also stays against the edge of the metal easier.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

marly
Explorer
Explorer
This works. Start at an open end of the channel, then pull the vinyl strip into place. Some lubrication such as dish washing soap and water mixture helps. This is how many manufacturers install their trim. It stretches the vinyl which is why it seems to shrink in length when you remove the stuff.

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Nice, I will have to catalog this.

You should have seen how many times today I tried to reinsert the new waste tank valves and the middle Y pipe until I figured out to temporarily bolt the slider valves to the pipes and then wiggle the Y pipe in between them.

Sailors would have blushed at the colorful murmurings.. :B

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
The plastic knives from Mickey D's work well also. And they are free.:B
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm doing the same thing right now on my Jayco. a real PITA for sure. It helps if it's a nice warm day and the vinyl is immersed in some very hot water while your working!
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
this is what our tech's used and did at the rv place I worked at. sorry you had to learn on your own. good job.