cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting couch out of 5th wheel?

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We've decided to get rid of the 6' couch that has a queen size mattress when it folds out. We rarely use it and once slept on it when we had visitors (last time for that ****). We purchased a queen size blow up mattress in case we need extra sleeping space. The couch is like new (2015-same as our Silverback). Since we use our 5th wheel quite a bit and live in it in FL for the winter we'd prefer to toss in a card table and a couple of chairs for use when using a laptop or working for days on a puzzle.

Now the problem appears to be how to get the darn thing out of the door of the 5th wheel. I measured the door(27 3/4") and the couch (6' long, 35" from feet to top of back - might be able to remove feet for 3" less), about 36" depth.

I'm give it away free, but will stipulate that the lucky folks have to remove it themselves as I can't lift heavy objects. I checked and it doesn't appear to have a removable back portion or any other part to reduce the size. Plus it's a tight turn out the door due to our kitchen counter across from the exit door.

Has anyone else removed their couch and how did you do it?
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

17 REPLIES 17

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Defenestration may be your only option that or a sawzall
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple of options to try:
tie the sofa sleeper closed so it doesn't come open accidentally. Set the sofa up on the end and slide it on a moving pad to the door. You'll need to turn it so the seat part goes out the door first and then twist it to get the back part out of the door.

Another option if you have a large enough window is to remove the window and take the sofa out through the window opening.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
As a kid, I moved furniture for my mom's reupholstery business. We were usually about to twist and turn the couches to get them through small spaces.

Unfortunately in my camper, we had to disassemble a couch to get it out of the door.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page