cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glue down solar panels - EDPM roof

branson4020
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to install a solar system based on these Renogy bendable laminated panels. What can I use to glue them down to the rubber roof.
9 REPLIES 9

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really may have to look into the flexible solar panels for my OFF-ROAD POPUP install. My goal of getting 17-20AMPS DC CURRENT output would allow me to re-charge one of my deep cycle batteries from 50% to 90% in a short three hour time span... Two batteries can get re-charged if you have the usual six hours of high sun...

Would also solve my roof weight problem big time...

My AHs battery drain is always over 100Ahs with our life style of camping off the power grid which has to be re-placed before I start the next day/night run off the batteries. I DO NOT want the batteries to kick off line hitting 50% charge state at 10PM at night because they didn't get at least a 90% charge state status during the high sun day. To me using the generator is my number one priority method of re-charging batteries and having solar panels is supplemental backing up the generator run times.

Thanks for all the flexible solar panel input...

Interesting stuff...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have a flexible panel on mine and held it down with eternabond tape. My panel said it does not need and air gap.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
jbbrick wrote:
If you need to, use the Dicor lap sealant thats rated for EPDM and TPO roofs.

X2. Dicor isn't a glue, but once down it shouldn't be going anywhere either. I would also think it would stick to the panels well.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

TXcampingfamily
Explorer
Explorer
One of the rving blogs I follow has install some similar solar panels. Maybe their blog might be helpful.
Gin & Mike + 2 TD (tax deductions)
2009 Fleetwood Fiesta Bunkhouse
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
That's some expensive panels and not that efficient.
$2.00 a watt is nuts today.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
If you need to, use the Dicor lap sealant thats rated for EPDM and TPO roofs.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
Why not use company support #. They have brackets also. But the stuff looks good!!
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been eying the film flexible type SOLAR PANELS as well. Will be watching what you come up with.

I am almost afraid you may need an air gap between the solar panels and the roof to keep the temperature down??? Never have discussed that with anyone yet...

My install will probably need to be on panels as I may want to move the panels from the roof area of my POPUP and setup on the ground???

The lightweight flexible panels sheets would for sure be a good answer to adding more weight on my electric crank up POPUP roof. It strains already trying to raise up the 100lb plus Air Conditioner...

My POPUP roof is ideal for two 120WATT panels on either side of the fantastic fan location on one end and maybe I can a 240WATT PANEL that would mount all across the other end between the air conditioner and roof edge.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to put a solar panel on top of my A/C unit and plan to use 3M VHB tape. This is strong stuff. It it actually used to hold panels on skyscrapers. Not sure how it would work against an RV rubber roof though.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A