cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good news for picture posting!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our moderator for the Technology Corner forum, 1492, has done all of us a great big favor. He developed an app that can be used to post pictures here on the forum which greatly simplifies the task.

All you need do to post pictures now is click on the picture posting app located at this link (I suggest you bookmark it for the time being), drag your picture into the box or click the "Select" button to find it on your computer, and then copy/paste the resulting URL into your post. The picture will be automatically re-sized to the forum limits of 640x480 if it is larger than that and will show up in your post.

Once again, the steps to post a picture into your post are:
1. Drag your picture from your computer into the box (or click on the "select" button to find it on your computer or other source).

2. Copy the resulting URL and then paste it directly into your post. Do not make any additions or subtractions to the URL.

There is no need to worry about re-sizing the picture anymore and/or getting the wrong result. Just copy/paste the URL from the app into your post without doing anything to it.

There is also no need for a 3rd party hosting site like Photobucket. The app takes care of it all for you! ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope you enjoy this and we owe 1492 a beer or two if/when any of us meet him in our travels!

Normally we don't allow test posts in the general forums but I am going to start a new thread on this forum called "Picture Posting Test Thread" where you can try this out if you wish.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine
59 REPLIES 59

GoldWingRyder
Explorer
Explorer
This makes posting much easier! Thanks!!!:C
Bob & Dinny

"Keep Your Knees,
In The Breeze!" ๐Ÿ™‚
US Army "Retired" 1SG

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Sooooooooo much easier. Thank you, 1492!
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

antiquedrose
Explorer
Explorer
Big Big Thanks to 1492

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Just tried this, it's a lot easier than posting to Photobucket then trying to remember how to resize the pic (when you don't use it that often), thanks guys! ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I use IMGUR all the time under my login...

I went looking for the RV NET posted photo I generated and couldn't find it... I even tried to find the generated IMGUR FILE NAME with no rssults using search from my login page???

I was just curious where the RV NET filename was kept on IMGUR....

Roy Ken

Truth be told, I've wondered about this, too. Right now I just think they all go...away...somewhere... permanently stored, I hope, so that future users will be spared those little "no image available" icons that appear in so many older threads.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use IMGUR all the time under my login...

I went looking for the RV NET posted photo I generated and couldn't find it... I even tried to find the generated IMGUR FILE NAME with no rssults using search from my login page???

I was just curious where the RV NET filename was kept on IMGUR....

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
RCMAN46 wrote:
I hope this is not a duplicate question.

I tried the posting application and it worked great.

Before I used Photobucket. The pictures I post reside in photobucket and will be there until I delete the picture in Photobucket.

When I use the posting application where do the pictures reside?

How long will they stay there?

And is it possible to remove the picture if I decide for some reason I do not want others to be able to see the picture.

1. The pictures now reside with Imgur.com.
2. They will stay there indefinately.
3. All you need do to remove the picture is edit your post and remove it yourself. This assumes the thread your picture is posted in is not in the archives, which happens after one year. As far as I know, you cannot remove it from Imgur.com.
Barney
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I hope this is not a duplicate question.

I tried the posting application and it worked great.

Before I used Photobucket. The pictures I post reside in photobucket and will be there until I delete the picture in Photobucket.

When I use the posting application where do the pictures reside?

How long will they stay there?

And is it possible to remove the picture if I decide for some reason I do not want others to be able to see the picture.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Great, thank you! I knew the IMG link would work on any forum but was worried your Imgur account might get overloaded if widely used. From the nature of the file names your code generates it looks like it can handle plenty of pictures anyway.

The shear simplicity of it should make Photobucket programmers shake their heads in despair.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Harvey51 wrote:
Hit CTRL + A on your keyboard. This will copy the URL to your clipboard.

Not quite - ctrl+A selects the URL and IMG codes but does NOT copy it. You still have to do control+C to copy. Alternatively, right click to bring up the extra options menu choose "select all", then right click again and choose "copy".

My compliments to the programmer! This is far easier than IMGUR itself or Photobucket. Is it allowed to be used for other forums?

That's correct. CTRL+C copies the URL to the clipboard. You shouldn't have to highlight the URL, so not necessary to use CTRL+A. Clicking the link should auto highlight the whole URL, except for mobile browsers.

The app was designed specifically for RV.NET forum requirements, but can be used on other forums. In fact, I've used it on Yahoo Groups, and other forums that don't allow uploading images to their own servers.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Harvey51,
I don't know the answer to your question but I have sent a PM to 1492, the moderator who developed that website, and asked him to possibly comment on your question.

I suspect I know what his answer will be but will keep it to myself for the time being. Glad that you and others are finding it easier to use!
Barney
Not towing now.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Hit CTRL + A on your keyboard. This will copy the URL to your clipboard.

Not quite - ctrl+A selects the URL and IMG codes but does NOT copy it. You still have to do control+C to copy. Alternatively, right click to bring up the extra options menu choose "select all", then right click again and choose "copy".

My compliments to the programmer! This is far easier than IMGUR itself or Photobucket. Is it allowed to be used for other forums?
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have used this function several times and love it. So much easier.

Today, for the first time, I used it for a portrait oriented photo and it made the height 640 which was too large. I modified the link by adding "height=480" and it now fits.

Could the software be modified to accommodate portrait photos.

Win 8.1, Firefox.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

vickilea
Explorer
Explorer
wow - this is way better than having to use photobucket!

azchuckmo
Explorer
Explorer
Well done keep up the good work on making live easer