cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing Window AC in Older Trailer

Jerry9n
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1965 Holmescraft 18' trailer I am pretty much rebuilding from the ground up. I want to put in AC and have toyed with a window unit instead of a roof, both for looks and cost. I know window units have side vents and was wondering how the new small trailers deal with that. Since the original propane refrig is gone and we will be using the trailer for short weekend trips, I am going to put in a larger "dorm" refrigerator where the old propane was. There are plenty of wall grilles for the old setup and could maybe utilize one of them. Would appreciate any ideas. Also if you have one of the new lightweights with a window unit would be curious how they deal with the issue of side vents on the AC.

A portable unit would be the last resort, but takes up space and the layout isn't real conducive to one of these.
Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods
14 REPLIES 14

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Please, keep us up to speed on your AC project, Jerry. This is one upgrade I am planning, also.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Jerry9n
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. Think I can place it where the old refrigerator was on top of a cabinet and use the roof vent and the old wall vent area. AC will sit on top of a cabinet with an oversized dorm refrigerator. I can vent the back of that out what used to be the furnace vent. We only will camp on weekends with shore, so no gas refrig or furnace. I am downsizing due to age and health and taking about 3 years to go through this trailer.

JU
Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

E_Johnsen
Explorer
Explorer
Window units work just find and they cost a lot less to run. The energy saver button is great. I would suggest you have a rotating fan to help circulate the air around in your camper.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a mini split AC?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Elegance-12-000-BTU-1-Ton-Ductless-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-110-V-60-Hz-A37GW2C-ELG/203423956?N=5yc1vZc4m1Z2bctxo

Put the condenser on the back bumper?
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Just remember a window A/C draws air in from the sides and exits the back of the unit. Mounting it flush without a source of air to the sides will cause the unit to overheat and fail. A lot of the new campers that use window units without proper ventilation for the A/C are having issues. Some new units with window units have a roof frig vent to draw air in to work correctly.

Excellent point. My window unit does have a refrigerator vent right above it. I seem to remember a post where the vent was there but a hole not cut in the roof to allow it to work. No issues with mine, so I assume they installed it correctly.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
A lot of the new campers that use window units without proper ventilation for the A/C are having issues. .

it would be good if you would identify some of these installations so the OP and others could look at them and see what not to do.
bumpy
I just told you in my post, It needs air for the sides in order to work correct. As long as you can get outside air to the sides of the A/C you will be fine.

If you would like to read more threads,
Broke 2 year A/C by Pattern
Side mounted A/C by Enoch Light

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The thin walls of the RV trailers almost prevent any success doing what you want to do. As noted above installing such units flush with the outside wall is about the only safe way of doing something like this. The walls and windows just will not support the normal way of installing window type air conditioners. The will have to sit on inside structures of some sort and just extend to those areas...

The portable air conditioners are becoming popular now as well with exhaust vents going to the window areas...

We have used window air conditioners several times when tent camping and even with extended trips with our OFF-ROAD POPUP camping off the power grids allowing us to use our portable generator to run the smaller BTU air conditioner. The 5K-8K BTU Window type small foot print air conditioners run just fine with our 2KW Honda Generator.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
A lot of the new campers that use window units without proper ventilation for the A/C are having issues. .

it would be good if you would identify some of these installations so the OP and others could look at them and see what not to do.
bumpy

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just remember a window A/C draws air in from the sides and exits the back of the unit. Mounting it flush without a source of air to the sides will cause the unit to overheat and fail. A lot of the new campers that use window units without proper ventilation for the A/C are having issues. Some new units with window units have a roof frig vent to draw air in to work correctly.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
most of these installations I have seen have the AC poking out an inch or two so they can vent. I think looking at what is available with the least venting on the side and most on the rear would work just fine. you may want to check out some rVs that use them and see exactly what is used.
bumpy

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure it drains to the outside and not all over the floor

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the smaller trailers, mine included, come with wall mounted ac units. They're mounted so they're flush with the outside wall of the trailer.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
years ago when I worked for Sears I sold many small AC units just for that reason. one guy even put it under his bed. I wondered about odors on that one.

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 60s trailer with a window unit. It was mounted on the back wall and centered, so it did not look at all out of place, and created no width issue. It was a 6K btu, which cooled the trailer well. Even had a remote control.

With a roof unit, you will need to cut a big hole and maybe reinforce the roof. You also need to get the power to it.

Best of all, if the window unit dies, you go to Lowes, buy a new one for $100, and install it in fifteen minutes in the parking lot.

You got my vote, amigo!

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor