cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Headlights...

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Owning an older truck 97 F350 Ford Diesel, back then the only option for headlights was Halogen bulbs and, while they work pretty well and I can see pretty well with them, I wanted to upgrade to a better system

I looked pretty hard at HID lights but the amp draw is steep plus they have to warm up and I don't particularly like the emitted light. Oncoming vehicles with HID lights I find irritating to look at and always have to look away

so...

Superbrightleds.com was running a special on LED retrofit bulbs and had my size for the '97 Ford.

Install was pretty easy, I had to remove the batteries to gain enough access to the backside of the headlight to get the units in because they have large heatsinks on the backside. That also entailed removing the LED bulb itself from the base to install the OEM lock ring. I also had to locate the ballasts, which I zip tied next to the headlights themselves

What a big difference in illumination. On low beam I can see farther down the road and much better to the sides too (great on a 2 lane country roads I drive on alot. The emitted light is very white, not yellowish like the Halogen lights were and road signs and paint stripes really pop now.

Wondering if anyone else runs LED headlights and if you do, do you like them. Most all military vehicles now run LED lamps because they last 10 times as long as Halogen and 3 times as long as HID lamps plus they draw very little current.

Amazing technology.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB
18 REPLIES 18

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Good site, thanks for sharing
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you had a positive experience with the LEDs. I have been thinking about doing this myself for my '99 F350. What I have tried first was just replacing the headlight housings with new ones which did help a lot. My next step will likely be the LED lamps.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just hope I don't come across you coming at me on a dark two lane road. There is a reason your low beams don't light the other lane very much, it blinds the oncoming driver.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am happy with the LEDs in my 2015 Tahoe. Better illumination than the 2007.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad