cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LED strip light installation under awning

Jeffreykell12
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am interested in installing some LED strip lights underneath my large side awning on my 2003 coachman cross-country 38 foot class a rv. Selecting the product seems pretty straightforward but what I’m struggling with is the termination of the wire going into the coach, currently my powered awning has what looks like a plug transition through the side of the RV. Can anyone share what product they are using to transition the wire into the coach? Maybe some type of special grommet with the plug adapter I’m sure there’s something out there that folks are using for this purpose.

Thank you I appreciate any help or advice on this do-it-yourself project.
15 REPLIES 15

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I tapped into my existing patio light. Have a remote switch to operate, brighten and dim the LED's. I can operate the existing patio light without the LED's but the patio light must be on before the LED's can operate. Maybe not ideal for you but easy.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Jeffreykell12 wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
I drilled a hole thru the sidewall where a kitchen cabinet was on the inside. Added a switch and made my connections there.

After you drill the hole hell did you transition the wire through the wall? How did you properly seal the opening ?

Caulked around the wire filling the hole.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

gvisnic
Explorer
Explorer
When I installed mine I drilled a hole thru the wall into a cabinet where I added an on off power switch. I used a feed thru bushing for coaxial cable to run the wires thru and then filled the bushing with lots of silicone to make a waterproof seal

ike66
Explorer
Explorer
i ran the wire down the inside of the front awning leg. Drilled a hole in to the storage pass through and tied it into the storage bay light fixture. Runs off of a remote control switch and to change colors.
Lon & Laura
Along with Captain (yellow lab) and Morgan (golden retriever)

Jeffreykell12
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I drilled a hole thru the sidewall where a kitchen cabinet was on the inside. Added a switch and made my connections there.

After you drill the hole hell did you transition the wire through the wall? How did you properly seal the opening ?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Jeffreykell12
Explorer
Explorer
Tal/IL wrote:
Here is what I used:
***Link Removed***
My LED strip is now my patio light.

Edit: I should also add that I learned, when dealing with LED lights, polarity matters.

I like that idea a lot, can I ask how you transitioned into the lighting fixture? From the LED strip.

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I used:
1156 Wire Plug Adapter
My LED strip is now my patio light.

Edit: I should also add that I learned, when dealing with LED lights, polarity matters.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure you don't put it to far up under the awning. The factory one that came with mine is useless when the awning is in.

Jeffreykell12
Explorer
Explorer
Tal/IL wrote:
I didn't want to drill a hole and fish wires, so I got a pig-tail adapter with a base that goes in the porch light socket to power the strip.

That’s actually a great idea I may use that.

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
I had considered using the porch light to power mine, but I wanted to use the led strip without the porch light on. I drilled a hole thru the wall just under the awning/gutter rail near the door into an upper cabinet to grab power at the interior cieling/exterior light switch panel. Both the power supply and the ir remote eye are fed thru this hole so the remote control can be used outside. I cut a square of eternabond tape to cover the hole, while leaving the ir remote eye exposed. This works great, however, a seam in the awning/gutter rail 4 feet away drips and corrodes the “waterproof” strips and I have had to replace them almost yearly. The most recent replacement last spring I placed a square of eternabond tape over the light strip at the rail seam as a sort of drip cap and all is good so far.
Another option would be to run power down next to an awning support to the underside of the camper, then to either the main fuse panel or to the tongue(battery)
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I installed strip on my first TC, bought them on Ebay. Silicone covered with a 3M double stick knock off tape backing. I got corrosion under the tape and then had trouble, couldn't get colors to work properly!

On my current TT I got similar strip, but it was inside a silicon tube. No problems so far. I sealed the ends with silicon caulk! I believe the extra cost was well worth it.

I did drill a hole 5/16" I think, pushed the connector through and used silicon caulk again. (It's under the awning so it is somewhat protected)

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't want to drill a hole and fish wires, so I got a pig-tail adapter with a base that goes in the porch light socket to power the strip.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about using a marine thru hull antenna/cable fitting?
It also comes in white.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine