cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Manual water tank heater hose: see update in first post

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
(Update -- this simple device really works in the real world. We just spent a week in Yosemite where it did not get above freezing for four days in a row -- and the water lines did not freeze! It was in the teens every night. We ran the recirculating hose once in the afternoon, once in the evening, once before bed, once in the middle of the night, and once in the morning. We had plenty of propane, and the pump did not come close to draining the battery -- using our 120 watt solar panel, the battery never dropped below 12.4 volts at any time. We also ran our Honda 2000 generator for 90 minutes one afternoon, something we have not done in several years.

A few tips -- when you set up your hose, make sure that whenever you disconnect it from the faucet, gravity will completely drain the hose into the fill pipe -- otherwise the hose will freeze. And make sure that there is a swivel on the attachment between the hose and the faucet -- it makes it easier to hook the hose up and to detach it.

Bottom line -- if you have an outdoor shower door, this crude method really works if you do a few days of winter camping. If you do a lot of winter camping, a more sophisticated automatic recirculating mechanism would be preferable. And now, back to the original posting!)

During our last trip to Sequoia, the outlet hose leading from the water tank to the pump froze one night, when the temp got down to 11 degrees. After some helpful discussions on this forum, I rigged up this simple solution:

A hose connects to the water faucet. The hose runs to the outside through the outdoor shower opening. The hose runs along the outside wall of the trailer, and the end goes into the external fill pipe of the water tank. Right before bedtime, we run a few gallons of hot water, and the temp of the tank is substantially increased. The warmed-up water runs through the outlet hose and back to the pump.

This solution is so simple, crude, and obvious that I am almost ashamed to post pictures of it -- but here we go anyway. This is the end that screws onto the faucet โ€“ I have included a swivel fitting to make it easier to attach:

Here it is attached to the faucet:

The hose runs over the edge of the sink, under the counter, and into the opening for the outdoor shower:

This is a view of the hose as it passes through the outdoor shower opening:

(The word "hot" was written by whoever installed the outdoor shower at the factory.)

This is an exterior view, showing the hose emerging from the outdoor shower opening โ€“ as you can see, I have also inserted blocks of tightly-fitting closed-cell foam blocks into the outdoor shower fixture as extra insulation:

And here is the hose going into the external fill pipe door:

For storage, the whole thing coils up and goes into an under-seat storage bin.

Some thoughts and caveats:

A thermostatically controlled built-in under-counter system would be far better. But it requires cutting into the plumbing, and some electrical work. My solution is crude but effective -- very simple and inexpensive. It does the job, especially if (like us) you rarely camp in weather below 20 degrees. (We have camped at 20 many times, with no freeze, but this last trip was just a little too cold.)

Obviously, this solution only works if you have an outside shower fixture -- otherwise, how would you get the hose through the wall? And it is much easier if you have previously removed all of the outdoor shower plumbing fixtures. (We did that when we got the trailer, because it is always too cold for a late afternoon outside shower when we are boondocking. We needed the extra room under the sink more than we needed the shower, since we use the inside shower.)

The main drawback to this system is that it has to be set up whenever you want to use it and then taken down whenever you want to change your campsite. But we so rarely encounter temperatures below 20 that this will be an infrequent event.

The other drawback is that this system does not operate automatically, unlike thermostatically controlled hot water recirculators. So, for example, I plan on running this device at least once during the night, which will mean that when I get up at 3 am (which I always do), I will have to stand there for three minutes while the hot water runs into the fresh water tank. Not a deal-breaker, but not effortless, either. And the water heater will need to stay on during the entire night, which means that it will cycle on and off every few hours, which is a little noisy. Better than frozen pipes, though!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
48 REPLIES 48

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
SkimmerBob wrote:
profdant139 Nice job on the hook up!
If we camp when it gets down in the 40's at night I think we're cold camping.

and for the off topic crowd Did you know ice lasts longer in salt water?;)

That is because salt water is colder than pure water.

Adding dissolved materials to water raises the boiling point and lowers the freezing point.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend, I think that your idea deserves its own thread -- this is way more advanced than my crude hose, and a fresh thread would allow hydronic experts to focus on your issue. I would guess that folks who know a lot about plumbing have stopped reading this thread.;)
About our trailer

westend
Explorer
Explorer
This water treatment/circulation for the fresh water tank got me thinking.....:R

How would using the fresh water supply work if a guy also used that water for hydronic heating? My initial though was to plumb the hot water tank outlet through a small heat exchanger and use the fresh tank as the reservoir. I could probably control the output of the water heater with a thermostatic valve.

Or, would it be better to establish new plumbing for the hydronic system?

If an RV'er wasn't worried about the supply lines freezing (mine are all inside), using heated water for some heating and to circulate back to the tank could be really nice for Winter camping. In my special case (steel fresh water tank under dinette seat) it would keep the dinette warmer, too.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
rexlion wrote:
austinjenna wrote:
austinjenna wrote:

Doesn't hot water freeze faster then cold water? Thats what I was always told

No. You need better references.

Maybe you should read. Link

Maybe you should create a link that works. Or explain how a jug of, say, 70*F water can freeze sooner than a jug of 40*F water under the same external temperature conditions. That would be an interesting trick; if it worked then maybe we could postpone freezing by adding ice cubes.

Hot water can freeze faster than cold. It is known as the Mpemba effect
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

SkimmerBob
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 Nice job on the hook up!
If we camp when it gets down in the 40's at night I think we're cold camping.

and for the off topic crowd Did you know ice lasts longer in salt water?;)

MrWizard
See my previous post regarding hot water cooling down
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
See my previous post regarding hot water cooling down
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

danglo
Explorer
Explorer
kellertx5er wrote:
austinjenna wrote:

OK, but, does Cold Hot water freeze faster than Cold Cold water?

danglo

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
RTompkins, you are right that connecting the outdoor shower directly to the fill pipe would work. But then you would have to go outside at night to run the hot water into the tank. My primitive "hook it to the faucet" solution means that I can do the job from inside the trailer, which on a snowy night is really nice.
About our trailer

MrWizard
Dog Trainer wrote:
kellertx5er wrote:
austinjenna wrote:

Jan 9, 2013 - Hot water freezing more quickly than cold water is known as the Mpemba effect. So, why does the Mpemba effect occur? First, all water evaporates, which means that the liquid (water) "disappears" and becomes a vapor, or gas. Hot water evaporates at a much faster rate than cold water.
How is that for a reference. Maybe it is you that needs to check your references:)

Only until the hot water becomes cold water.
At that point the loss of heat, down to the point odd freezing is the same
These thing always get taken out of context

Years ago, a fellow I worked for, said adding creme to coffee made the coffee hotter, because of a chemical reaction between the acid in the coffee and the sugars in the cream

Maybe this is true if both are at a controlled temp and you have an ultra fine temp probe
But it sure doesn't work that way with hot coffee and cold cream from the fridge
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
Johno02 wrote:
If you have shore power, seems like a 60 Watt light bulb would be a lot simpler.

Camping is Sequioa National forest park ... No hookups
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RTompkins3
Explorer
Explorer
If I was going to do this, I would just run the hose from my outdoor shower to the input to my fresh water tank. They are both in the same enclosed area on the side of the trailer. Just turn on the hot water and circulate through the fresh water tank.

Of course - if I'm boondocking and not using a generator, the hot water heater can use a lot of propane pretty quickly.
Ralph (W1KDK) and Cathy
2015 LifeStyle LS38RS 5th Wheel
HMC USN(Ret)

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
kellertx5er wrote:
austinjenna wrote:

Jan 9, 2013 - Hot water freezing more quickly than cold water is known as the Mpemba effect. So, why does the Mpemba effect occur? First, all water evaporates, which means that the liquid (water) "disappears" and becomes a vapor, or gas. Hot water evaporates at a much faster rate than cold water.
How is that for a reference. Maybe it is you that needs to check your references:)
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend, I see what you are saying -- use the drain opening. That's a possibility. I think, though, that the "right" solution would be with internal plumbing -- and if I lived in the Northern US and wanted to do a lot of sub-freezing camping, that would be the way to go.

For those of us who rarely encounter freezing conditions, my half-baked method might be just adequate, even if it is Mickey Mouse style. ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer