cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Tesla powered Toy Hauler

Heynow999
Explorer
Explorer
I have built maybe a dozen solar, battery powered trailers over the past 10 years. My plan is to make this the most powerful and advanced one I have built.
I started with a new to me 2010 Heartland Road Warrior. It is a 305 RW toy hauler. It has a 5500 watt Cummins Onan gas generator. I will be installing solar panels and a lithium battery salvaged from a Tesla.

The battery is one module from a Tesla, which has been modified to make it 48 volts. Normally a module is 24 volts but there is a guy in Texas who has figured out how to cut the pack in half and reconfigure it to 48V.

29 REPLIES 29

Heynow999
Explorer
Explorer
I have done all the high power wiring between the battery, inverter and new breaker panel.

This is between the battery and the inverter. I used 00 welding cable as recommended in the manual. Seems like overkill. There is a 200 amp fuse on the positive (top) post of the tesla battery. You cant really see it but its there. Next is an on/off switch, then there is a contactor under the yellow cap. It is part of the battery management system (BMS) It will cut off charging when the battery is full and disconnect it if the voltage falls too low. Below that, on the negative wire, are two shunts. The first one is for the Victron battery monitor and the second one is for the BMS. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of putting two shunts in line but I had little choice. They are different millivolt values and I didnt want to start muking around trying to make the inverter work with the BMS shunt, or the other way around. I dont like the extra connections, ill just have to keep an eye on them and occasionally check them for tightness

After looking at the picture, I can see that I put red heat shrink on the negative instead of black! D'oh! I better fix that

Heynow999
Explorer
Explorer
Im back working on the trailer. We go to Florida over Christmas and then I leave the trailer down south. We then go back for March Break and bring it back with us.

I dont like the noisy converter that came with the trailer so I replaced it with an Iota 55 amp charger with an IQ4 smart charge controller. This will give the house battery a proper charge so it will last a long time

out with the old

in with the new

I mounted the IQ4 module just inside the opening that gives you access to the converter plug

Heynow999
Explorer
Explorer
1slomofo wrote:
jcain wrote:
If it's 55lbs then it is only a 5.2kw with 444 cells.

By my math on the Panasonic 18650 cells depending on the housing, wires, and BMS he may have as many as 550 ish 18650s in that pack.
Still the math isn't adding up. Especially if it's been modified from 24v to 48v

OP Here.

Yes you guys are probably right with those numbers. The battery has 444 cells. What I actually meant is that it could put out 17kw (or Kwhrs, I get those confused)

1slomofo
Explorer
Explorer
jcain wrote:

By my math on the Panasonic 18650 cells depending on the housing, wires, and BMS he may have as many as 550 ish 18650s in that pack.
Still the math isn't adding up. Especially if it's been modified from 24v to 48v

-2015 32SAG Eclipse Attitude Toyhauler
-2010 Mosebilt 2-seater Long Travel Sand Car
-2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
-2006 Kawasaki Kfx400
-1984 Wife

jcain
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Avalanche 355rk
2016 F350 CC-DRW Fx4, Tow Boss, Monochromatic King Ranch,Fox 2.0, Pmf Fox 2.0 DSS, OUO ALA, OUO spring thing, OUO traction blocks & bars, AL 5000 ultimate + wireless one, AMP steps,Projectors, Rigid d2 fog lights and 30"sr light bar.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
you probably know this already but just in case, a lithium battery requires a different fire extinguisher, make sure you have the right one or it will not put out the fire.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
jayw900 wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Interesting thread and I will continue to follow it. You mentioned the pack is a 17 KW. Coincidentally our battery pack in our smart car is around 18 KW. It is however liquid cooled.

Enjoy your project. I am a little jealous.

Not to derail the thread too much but how do you like your electric smart?

Quite honestly the best car we have ever owned. Very fun to drive, all kinds of power, nice refined drive, dead quiet, simple and effective. Ours is a Cabrio so lots of fun in the sun. We will probably drive it till it drops but the electric experience has also probably convinced us to change out our last oil burner sooner than later. Probably 2018. Hard to go back. ๐Ÿ™‚ Also way fun dropping a mustang in the dust off a stop light. ๐Ÿ™‚

---

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

jayw900
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
Interesting thread and I will continue to follow it. You mentioned the pack is a 17 KW. Coincidentally our battery pack in our smart car is around 18 KW. It is however liquid cooled.

Not to derail the thread too much but how do you like your electric smart?
Sent from my laptop with 100% renewable electrons.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Had to chuckle as I read the OP "is in the film industry" and "plug in many hairdryers, curling irons..." as that kind of describes our family.

My son and son in law are in the film/tv industry, and my wife is a hairdresser, who won't camp unless she can plug in her massive industrial size hair dryer and curling irons. I did finally convince her that she can only plug in 1 piece of equipment at a time (or rather, the generator screaming an agonizing death rattle before shutting down every time the hair dryer kicked into afterburner did).

๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
#40Fan wrote:
I'd skip the smoke alarm in the storage area and go with a fire suppression system.
At least interconnect with smoke alarms in each living area.

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I'd skip the smoke alarm in the storage area and go with a fire suppression system.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rbertalotto wrote:
I have a 10.5 kWh Solar City system on my house. They tell me that I can buy the "Powerwall" this fall......

Maybe if it is small enough, it can be poertable and you can take it with you!

I still say, the best option might be a VOLT or other hybrid electric vehicle as a toad and use its battery pack when in camp. Recharging it as you drive around sight seeing.

I've heard of people doing this with a Prius.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board