cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Tesla powered Toy Hauler

Heynow999
Explorer
Explorer
I have built maybe a dozen solar, battery powered trailers over the past 10 years. My plan is to make this the most powerful and advanced one I have built.
I started with a new to me 2010 Heartland Road Warrior. It is a 305 RW toy hauler. It has a 5500 watt Cummins Onan gas generator. I will be installing solar panels and a lithium battery salvaged from a Tesla.

The battery is one module from a Tesla, which has been modified to make it 48 volts. Normally a module is 24 volts but there is a guy in Texas who has figured out how to cut the pack in half and reconfigure it to 48V.

29 REPLIES 29

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know the Tesla Powerwall is 400v so would also require modification. Or, you could use the Solaredge "Storedge" inverter that is designed to go with the Powerwall.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10.5 kWh Solar City system on my house. They tell me that I can buy the "Powerwall" this fall......

Maybe if it is small enough, it can be poertable and you can take it with you!

I still say, the best option might be a VOLT or other hybrid electric vehicle as a toad and use its battery pack when in camp. Recharging it as you drive around sight seeing.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
another option if you don't have a handy tesla battery pack and a friend that can modify it.
a tesla powerwall which has a 6.4 kWh energy storage capacity.

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Heynow999 wrote:
I have a BMS system that will stop the battery from over-charging so fire should not be a problem. I can also see on the battery pack that each cell has a tiny wire going to it from the buss bar that I believe acts as a fuse for each individual cell. To be safe, I'll put a smoke detector in the compartment. I do intend to use the RV for vacations. The risk of fire I believe is when the batteries are being charged so I will make sure they are not charging at night

You do realize that when used in a Tesla vehicle these battery systems have both active battery pack cooling and heating systems right? Please be carefull!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Following
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think that wire may be to allow the battery management system to monitor and shut down individual cells.

Heynow999 wrote:

I can also see on the battery pack that each cell has a tiny wire going to it from the buss bar that I believe acts as a fuse for each individual cell.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Naio,

Both Outback and Magnum make similar hybrid inverter chargers. They are quite wonderful to use. The Victron is a great piece of kit, too.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Glue will help, as will the strap.

Hey, you might want to post a link to your thread in the Tech forum here. That's where the people you want hang out. But we will ALL be asking you how we can get batteries like yours ๐Ÿ˜‰
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Heynow999
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:

Your battery 'pen' looks great. I do have one concern. It looks like you have screwed the crosspieces into the cut edge of the plywood. That part of plywood will not hold screws -- they will come out. With the weight of the battery and the movement of the toyhauler, they will come out SOON after you get on the road. I can help you redesign it, if you need.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep an eye on it. It is screwed and glued. I put the screws in at a slight angle so they go through several layers of the plywood. Maybe I'll run some metal plumbing strap over the vertical pieces

Heynow999
Explorer
Explorer
About the battery. I actually dont know exactly how many cells are in it, but it is 17 kw. In all the other trailers I have done I used lead acid golf cart batteries. They weigh about 65lbs each. The Tesla battery is equal to about 9 of those batteries. The Tesla battery weights 55lbs. So the Tesla battery is equal to about 585 lbs of lead acid batteries. It should last several times longer than lead acid.

I have a BMS system that will stop the battery from over-charging so fire should not be a problem. I can also see on the battery pack that each cell has a tiny wire going to it from the buss bar that I believe acts as a fuse for each individual cell. To be safe, I'll put a smoke detector in the compartment. I do intend to use the RV for vacations. The risk of fire I believe is when the batteries are being charged so I will make sure they are not charging at night

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that is the mother of all inverters!

I am thrilled to hear that you got this used Tesla battery. I know there will be a lot of us here wondering: Can we get them? Does your guy sell to the public (or to your forum buddies? :B)

Your battery 'pen' looks great. I do have one concern. It looks like you have screwed the crosspieces into the cut edge of the plywood. That part of plywood will not hold screws -- they will come out. With the weight of the battery and the movement of the toyhauler, they will come out SOON after you get on the road. I can help you redesign it, if you need.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Heynow999
Explorer
Explorer
The inverter is a Victron Quattro 5000 watt inverter/charger. This inverter has the ability to pass through power from a generator, and produce power from the batteries at the same time. It has 2 inputs for AC power that can transfer 100 amps each, plus 36 amps from the battery, for a massive 236 amps of power! I will be putting the generator into one input, and just one leg of the 50 power cord into the other input

I am also installing a 100 amp breaker panel. I will feed the main panel in the trailer through that panel, as well as put several more 20 amp plugs throughout the trailer. The reason for this is I am in the film business and I intend to rent it as a hair and make-up trailer so I need plugs for steamers and hair dryers

mounting the inverter

mounting the battery

I built a frame out of 3/4 plywood. I wanted to hold it firmly, but not completely enclose it so it can dissipate heat.

I propped up the battery about 1/4 inch, then I took several sandwich bags and positioned them around the battery, underneath, above and front and back. I filled the bags with spray foam. The idea is that the battery will rest on the foam, which I hope will also act as a shock absorber as it bounces down the highway.

This is a work in progress. This is how far I have gotten

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, keep us posted. And try not to burn your TH to the ground keeping that battery pack cool!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting. Keep us updated on your progress.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic!

It's interesting that Panasonic (in partnership with Tesla) builds the packs using so many tiny cells... you'd think so many points of failure would be a weakness. I guess their QC must be really high when building these packs.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed