cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need awning input...

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor has a travel trailer from the 80's, is stationary, and wants to create some kind of awning over her door. We are on the Oregon Coast and can get some high winds. She doesn't really want to be opening and closing it all the time. She has a dog and just wants a covered space when he wants to run out. We were thinking maybe a regular house awning that is attached to her trailer and a few straps that run down from the front corners that are anchored into the ground. Thoughts? She had some beautiful carpet on there that I accidently tore through with a pressure washer. That will be replaced soon. We were thinking maybe it could be attached to the top of the steps somehow, with straps to hold it down...or support poles.

Click For Full-Size Image.

We were thinking maybe just some DIY awning kit similar plus anchoring straps. She's in her late 70's and still working as a housekeeper at a hotel so we're trying to come up with an affordable option. ๐Ÿ™‚

Click For Full-Size Image.
12 REPLIES 12

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Why not some 4 x 4's bolted to the already existing deck with a lid?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Check any anchor points on the trailer carefully before buying anything. That trailer is almost 40 years old. Hopefully this good deed...if you proceed...won't come back to bite you like the carpet.

Anchor points -- like studs? That trailer is made better than anything on the road today. The roof hasn't leaked a bit. They made them better back then. As for the carpet...it was 8 years old and threadbare. The creepy park sex-addict snuck up behind me while I was spraying them down and I was so distracted it rested too long on one spot. I bought her some new higher-quality carpet and told him where to "step" off.

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Get yourself some earth anchors, there's various ones out there. I used 4 that holds down a 10 x 10 patio roof, been there for 5 years and has not budged an inch. Here's one. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vortex-16-in-Steel-Folding-Ring-Spiral-Ground-Anchor-ANCFR16-ORG-A/202703690 and here's some more. https://www.rona.ca/en/shelterlogic-shelterauger-earth-anchors-30-in-4-pack-10075-330736988

Thanks so much!

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Get yourself some earth anchors, there's various ones out there. I used 4 that holds down a 10 x 10 patio roof, been there for 5 years and has not budged an inch. Here's one. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vortex-16-in-Steel-Folding-Ring-Spiral-Ground-Anchor-ANCFR16-ORG-A/202703690 and here's some more. https://www.rona.ca/en/shelterlogic-shelterauger-earth-anchors-30-in-4-pack-10075-330736988

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. Yeah, she's not in any way interested in some big project. If this tears out of the trailer it's old anyway, won't be the end of the world. We'll patch it up and start over. I have a friend in the park who is in construction and he'll be able to advise about how to best attach the legs. Good suggestion about the door clearance. It looks like this one can be installed at different angles which is another nice thing about the design....Funny, it didn't occur to me for the longest time that with most of these door awnings (even the cloth RV door awnings) the rain is going to come right off the far side of it. Was very happy to find this one with a gutter.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My 02. Owners already don't trust the awning that came with the rig. Making the cover out of aluminum or whatever doesn't mean squat if it's attached to the rig because Oregon Coast winds will just rip it off the roof and maybe the roof with it.

If it were me I would just open the door when the dog wanted out. If not I would build a small shelter that protect the door from the winds and leave the door open. But that will take a lot of work and depending on where the rig is parked might not be acceptable.
Kevin

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check any anchor points on the trailer carefully before buying anything. That trailer is almost 40 years old. Hopefully this good deed...if you proceed...won't come back to bite you like the carpet.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperfamily wrote:
The challenge may be clearance for the door when it opens out vs. in like a residential door does. Something to keep in mind.

Many, many residential doors have screen/storm doors that open out, as well as the main door that opens inwardly, so this shouldn't be too much of a challenge to overcome.

I tend to agree that a solid structure with a solid roof is what would be best. A carport or pole barn or pergola sort of structure over the entire trailer (and entryway) might be the ideal solution, but not inexpensive.

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
The challenge may be clearance for the door when it opens out vs. in like a residential door does. Something to keep in mind.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree. I would make a covered porch out of solid material. Even a "tin roof" would handle the winds better than fabric.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good luck with that.... If it's a fabric cover, it's just a big kite and yes, the straps will hold down the frame, but the fabric will just rip away.

Fixed trailer, wants a covered porch, built it out of wood and screw it into the trailer like it was a house.

Or, look at the stick built house on the Oregon coast and note how many have open covered porches?? Even made out of wood??

Sorry to be an ass on this, but wind and open fabric awnings don't really mix too well in general..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.