cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Graphics on my 1998 BOUNDER

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 1998 BOUNDER 35U with front-facing sofa.
Like all Bounders of this vintage ... it had faded gelcoat and faded graphics.

I brought the gelcoat back to a strong shine with ZEP floor wax , and having been in the sign business for 20 years, I created my own new graphics ...

LOOK AT MY PROFILE AND SEE HOW IT LOOKS NOW !
It may give some of you other Bounder owners some ideas.

I would have posted the picture(s) here , but could not find that option
15 REPLIES 15

catman10
Explorer
Explorer
I have replaced all of my Coachmen Mirada graphics with new ones, to our own design. The old graphics were removed using a sharp 1 inch chisel and then using a citrus based glue remover to remove the remaining glue. A long and tedious job. Worth the effort. Very little gel coat damage is done if you take your time . I found that by using the heat of the sun to soften the old graphics was all I needed.

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
U P D A T E I N F O .....

I have 2 Toads.
A GMC ENVOY ... and a recently purchased 2003 SATURN LW300 Station Wagon.
Both of these are BLACK .... and showed some scratches.
I used Turtle Wax BLACK Color Magic ... which is a Silicone-Based wax that I have used before , and it made both black cars look like brand new paint jobs , with a Slick-ivity ( new word ) factor , that cannot be achieved by anything I have ever felt on a paint job.

ANYWAY ... I called Turtle wax and found out that the only other product they have that is NOT black , but has the same chemical components & silicone ... is an item called COLOR BACK. I ordered it thru Walmart.com and they shipped it to the store for pickup. It only costs $5.41 for a 16 oz. bottle and ..... works just as well as the Color Magic on my basement compartments ( metal exterior ) .... and literally MELTED AWAY any / all cloudy haze that existed ... and makes them look almost like mirrors.
The Slick-ivity factor is the same ice cube feel as the Color Magic has, and dirt does not seem to be able to adhere to it.

No buffing needed. I just wiped it on ... waited 3 minutes and wiped it off ... and WOW - WHAT A DIFFERENCE !

Hope this helps someone ... Richard

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
Mrsmoos ... I know what the Silhouette is, but have never owned one, so I do not know it's limits.
You COULD actually cut the stripes with a straight edge and an exacto knife.
It would be a much slower process.
You also could buy precut rolls from Ebay or West Marine.

From your picture , yours do not look damaged, so perhaps just the floor wax would make a great improvement..... on the stripes as well.

Richard

Mrsmoos
Explorer
Explorer
OMG! I LOVE THIS! We have a 92 Southwind and it has "not so attractive" graphics on it that I would love to update. I guess i won't be able to cut them on my 12" wide Silhouette Cameo cutter however ๐Ÿ˜ž

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Really nice upgrade and look
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
Stripit .. On THIS motorhome, I used a vinyl SLITTER ( essentially a lathe with a mounted knife cutter ) to cut the stripes to size ( i.e. 1" - 2" 8" ) and then cut into 4' - 6' sections .... overlapping them down the length of the motorhome , to avoid a large SAG in the middle.
The overlaps really just blend in and are not very noticeable.

On the larger curves ... it is close to impossible to recreate the exact archs , so I use a large ( 24" ) piece and position it to cover the whole section, on an angle .... use VERY soapy water on the sticky side, and squeegee out that same water ...then ... CAREFULLY use an exacto knife to cut , just outside of the lines showing through. NOW to cover any irregularities in the cut , I use 3/4" to 1" VINYL as rather large PinStripes and even out the flow of the curve.
THIS can be tricky also, but after a few mistakes, the technique becomes more apparent.

While I have , in the past, stripped off the whole graphic, which makes some of this easier, since you can create your OWN swoops and down-turns, however, the damage potential to the fiberglass really becomes a problem without a good solution.

I tried the body filler idea on a 38' Newmar I owned once , and found it made MORE of a disturbance than NOT using it. Then again ... I am not a paint & body man so perhaps my poor talents were to blame.

If you have a $80,000 motorhome, this is not a DIY project that I would suggest..... but ... otherwise, it makes for a great facelift that can make you a bit more proud of your RV.

Hope this answers your questions ...Richard

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Since most of us don't know graphics, do you make some type of templet to copy the original graphic or do you take a lot of measurements to copy the exixting one? Your idea of filling in the cracked old vinal is interesting. I suppose some other filler agent could also be used like a thin body filler as long as it could fill the voids..
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

MrWizard
Beautiful job
Looks great
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
On this unit, I cut and laid OVER the old, with a slight overlap.
I have done a few others, that I owned, ( Mountain Aire 38 - Rexhall Aerbus 33 -Challenger 32 Fifth Wheel) where I removed SOME or ALL of the graphics... and would never do that again.

HUGE JOB ... and lots of nicks in the fiberglass , no matter how careful you are.
Using the old also allows for better horizontal alignment, especially for a one-man job.

Part of the trick is to do MANY coats of ZEP first, which fills in most of the cracks in the old graphics, and evens them out .... sorta.

From 2-3 feet you can see the lines of the old graphics, if you are looking for them, but beyond that , it is pretty much invisible.

A few weeks ago , a next door neighbor in an RV Campground commented on it , and thought I had the whole unit repainted. The old graphics lines did not get noticed by him.

Richard

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Great looking job! Question, did you remove the old graphics or cut new ones and lay over top the old?
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
That looks good!

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, looks great. Might your business be interested in supplying graphics to other rv'ers? If so, contact me via private message.

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
GayMeadows ....

Thank You .... That certainly makes for a better impact

Richard

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
And by the way, Very nice.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R