cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No More Crankup Antenna!!!!

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
After looking at some newer RV's I see they are using the King Jack antenna without a crankup. Looked at there web site to see the newer units that just turn and are on a short Stantion.
So I figured why not convert my crank up so I never have to crank it up or worry about it.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035
15 REPLIES 15

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent solution for a cheap alteration. One thought on another solution would be to just shorten up the existing arms. Zero cost and it would give you the options of either leaving it up or lowering it if needed.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously height is seriously important for distance, we all know that. Antenna type notwithstanding, the only drawback to low rider antennas these days is that they are just that much closer to the noise generating LED's we are now all adding to our RV's. As you figure out how this ting works in its new form, make sure you know which LED's, if any will kill your TV.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Did the same thing to our Jack antenna 2 years ago.
So far it works great.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I knocked 2 off....one in a state park and the other driving down a major road that I think a high truck struck a limb an a piece was hanging down the Jack got it.....so I am replacing it with a crank up razor antenna.....

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
down home, you are spot on! After I knocked off the Jack I had I saw foirst hand how flimsy the mast is. The good side to it is there was no damage to the roof or ceiling. Stuck a ziplock bag over it and duct taped it to the roof to keep any rain out. Then installed a Sensor 4.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
One reason we haven't changed is we frequently encounter low limbs on roads in parts of the country. The Counties etc claim they don't have the money to keep trimmed to the mandatory 15 ft, all the time.
The though just hit of why not a deflector that could catch and deflect the limbs over the top of the antenna. Jack Antennae should have incorporated a sturdy piece in their design on a sturdy base.
Would just have to check whatever is used doesn't interfere with signal.
Might need to be sort of a deflecting cage to keep from grabbing limbs backing up etc.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
I would for sure like to hear updates when you are using it to determine how you feel the reception is with the Jack vs the previous Wineguard. I really hoped my new rig would have a more modern antennae but it seems most manufacturers still rely on the good old standby.

And for good reason - the "good old standby" Winegard Sensar IV is still the best available in terms of a compact antenna suitable for use on an RV, as evidenced in these tests by SCVJeff. Certainly my own Sensar IV, coupled with a Winegard SensarPro, is about as good as it gets and I wouldn't change it unless something demonstrably more sensitive comes along. Regardless, any antenna will work better the higher off the roof it is so I to would see reducing that height as a negative not a positive.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I would for sure like to hear updates when you are using it to determine how you feel the reception is with the Jack vs the previous Wineguard. I really hoped my new rig would have a more modern antennae but it seems most manufacturers still rely on the good old standby.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Having had a Jack antenna and knocking it off from a low branch I missed going into LaPine State Park, I like what you did. My take after seeing how flimsy the mast part of the Jack antenna is, I replaced it with a Sensor 4. You solved the flimsy problem.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know that posts on the internet require that folks make negative posts but I just wanted to say that I think you did an awesome job. The roof wasn't leaking so there's no chance it will now leak as you never touched that part. You have a better base and a better arm than the entire kit would provide and you saved a bunch of money. While we know that the Winegard is a better antenna in many cases, if this works for you at that elevation then all's good!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
That's a better base than the plastic Jack base, but I wouldn't give up the height, with the improved reception it gives, for convenience.
-- Chris Bryant

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be interested to hear if you get any difference in reception between the old and new setups. I've always thought the height difference in the crank up model would be helpful.

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
How did you get my wire strippers?
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to clime up on the roof of My MH and criticize go for it.
It's not that visible.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035