cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

plastic v. porcelain toilets

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
The existing porcelain toilet has cracks along the base and it is leaking. Cannot use a newer, higher toilet because of the design of the bathroom. What are the pros and cons of porcelain toilets v. plastic ones? I would prefer replacing the existing one with a porcelain, but having real problems finding a new one that will fit. Are porcelain pottys prone to cracking in an RV? Thanks.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
11 REPLIES 11

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't find a porcelain toilet to fit (don't know why this would be) and have to go with plastic, you could do what I did. I decided to use the original plastic toilet so I removed it, cleaned it up, buffed it up with rubbing compound, and built a riser of 1 1/2" to raise the height. It works fine for my use.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dometic Sealand 500 series (511+ ...I think). It is porcelain, easy to clean and service (IMO), and just plain works.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the porcelain toilet cracked, as mentioned, the first thought is the bolts may have been over-tightened. Hopefully you won't find the flange damaged.

We had plastic in the past and now have porcelain. Would never go back to plastic. Porcelain toilets are much easier to clean and will stay much cleaner. No nasty skid marks to clean all the time. If plastic was better, you'd see them in houses but you don't.

I also think porcelain is quieter and you won't hear the tinkle tinkle from DH from outside the bathroom like with a plastic toilet.

Consider an elongated bowl like the Dometic 320 or Thetford Aria deluxe - most people prefer elongated bowls nowadays plus there is more room in these for male anatomy.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have plastic, and as soon as there is any problem, it will be replaced with porcelain. Just as plastic yellows with age, so does the inside of the bowl. Plastic also absorbs odors. Constant cleaning is the only thing that will keep it odor free and white. Porcelain is much easier to clean, less porous surface so doesn't stain as easily.

Cyborgie
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell the plastic from the Jayco to the porcelain in the Scamp for cleaning. The Scamps also sits higher because of the way the toilet is installed.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have had plastic toilets for many years with no problems, other than having to clean the seal a few years ago. Not related to plastic vs porcelain at all.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have porcelain now but have had several plastic toilets in other RVs. Doesn't make any difference, IMHO.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Granted, I do not claim to have looked at and "tested" every brand or model, but I did the change from porcelain to plastic because of the shape of the bowl. I could not find a porcelain one with a deep enough bowl to eliminate the "splash-back" while sitting. That was my sole reason. JMHO
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Aqua Magic Style Plus has a plastic base with a porcelain bowl. I've replaced the plastic toilet in each of our last three coaches with one, and would never go back to all plastic. The Style Plus uses a standard residential seat, and is available in high or low profiles, with or without a water saver hand sprayer.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen several discussions about people swapping out their plastic for porcelain. Never the other way around. Personally, it matters not to me, a toilet is a toilet. The only thing I'd like to see is a heated seat.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had a porcelain potty crack or break, and I've never heard of one. I wonder if your existing toilet was ever tightened down with too much torque. That will crack a porcelain toilet in a home every time.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)