cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PVC Awning cover

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed on Youtube that someone used a PVC Pipe to make an awning cover. Anyone know how well that works? Would it be safe to leave it on the awning while travelling?
17 REPLIES 17

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
The pics I've been talking about: Clicky.

Note the notches in the gutters ends. For highway speeds I would want more reliable attachment, definitely would glue the end-caps to the gutters. Better yet - would make it a 2-piece and remove it for travel.

I tied the gutter to the awning brackets with a piece of wire on both ends, since my attachment is of a more permanent nature.

That's very similar to how I did mine but I did not put the end caps on.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
There is a guy online that sells one that you can drive with and costs around $100. It's a plastic tube that snaps around your awning.

Here is a LINK to that.

Or like the guy in this video you can make your own! I believe that this would stay on while traveling, and the awing would operate with it in place.

Link
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
There is a guy online that sells one that you can drive with and costs around $100. It's a plastic tube that snaps around your awning.

Here is a LINK to that.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I can't find my old post with pics, but I made mine out of white plastic rain gutter from Lowes, 2 pieces overlapping. Worked good if there is no wind and of course you can't drive with it. There is a guy online that sells one that you can drive with and costs around $100. It's a plastic tube that snaps around your awning.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
My previous awning finally fell apart after 12 years, and the only area that fell apart was where the sun hit it while retracted. So I built my own cover for the new one, and I only use it while my 5er is stored in the driveway for more than a couple weeks.

My 13 year old awning was the same way for pretty much the same reasons. I ended up using left over Eternabond 4" wide tape and made two passes for about 8" of coverage. It's been that way for 2 or 3 years now and is still going strong.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot wrote:

Note the notches in the gutters ends. For highway speeds I would want more reliable attachment, definitely would glue the end-caps to the gutters. Better yet - would make it a 2-piece and remove it for travel.

I tied the gutter to the awning brackets with a piece of wire on both ends, since my attachment is of a more permanent nature.
Thanks for finding this and posting it. It's the one I had in mind, but could not find it. Been wanting to do this mod so I think I have something planned this weekend now...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Our rig has what is probably the original awning and it has serious sun rot at the top, which is where it is exposed. The rest looks good. I plan to replace it early this year. There is a company called Shade Pro that looks good to me and they have a cover I want to investigate which only covers the rolled up awning.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Under the fierce SoCal and Baja sun my awning started falling apart after 2 years - while still rolled. The vinyl on the top exposed part was crumbling to dust.

Following nice pictures by somebody posted here, I put a cover made of 2 pieces of aluminum gutter, overlapping and sliding into each other in the middle. Plastic gutter shape didn't worked well for me. In heavy wind those 2 pieces have lifted up in the middle, separated from each other and fell down, hanging at the ends where they were attached to the awning mounts. Winds here throw lawn chairs and small items around like they are made of toilet paper, I rarely even unroll this awning, but it sucks watching it crumbling. So I riveted 2 pieces together in the middle.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
My awning is 13 years old and still looks almost like new except for a place where a tree jumped out and hit it on the end. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
korbe wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
korbe wrote:
My previous awning finally fell apart after 12 years, and the only area that fell apart was where the sun hit it while retracted. So I built my own cover for the new one, and I only use it while my 5er is stored in the driveway for more than a couple weeks.

12 years service from any awning is pretty good ... guess you'll have to wait another 12 to see if this gutter cover helps extend that. :R

My guess is that the original awning would still be working just fine if I would have covered it from the beginning.
I had the same problem with mine and in addition the PO scraped that area on a tree limb and it leaked when extended. I tried several types of latex sealers over the years which worked for a while but eventually cracked. Last year my BIL gave me some fiber reinforced rubber about .030 thick and I cut a strip about 2 ft the length of the awning and bonded it to the awning, it stopped the leak from the holes and covered the area exposed to the sun. The rest of the awning is good and it is 20 years old.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
korbe wrote:

12 years service from any awning is pretty good ... guess you'll have to wait another 12 to see if this gutter cover helps extend that. :R

My guess is that the original awning would still be working just fine if I would have covered it from the beginning.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

korbe
Explorer
Explorer

I used white PVC drain gutter which fit over the rolled up awning just fine. However, it wasn't real tight and would slip off. So I cut some 4" dia. PVC Pipe into 3" long sections, cut them lengthwise and rounded off the sharp edges. I used these as "clips" to hold the gutter sections in place at the ends and the middle joint.