cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quad Bike mounted to ladder?

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Vier Bike as something DW and I can do together. The bike cannot go into the back of the truck. I am thinking of rigging a block and tackle to raise it up and strap it to the ladder spiderman style (4 wheels against trailer back wall). The ladder is rated to 300# and I think the weight of the bike is 125. Any CONSTRUCTIVE ideas out there, pro and con?
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch
26 REPLIES 26

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the trailer frame will support a receiver then that is the best solution and it will only extend a few inches beyond the bumper. Two short simple ramps, several straps and you are good to go.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the input. Vier is thinking about a selling hitch mount, like a bike carrier but sized for the 4 wheels (think 2 inch tube steel from receiver and two aluminum channels bolted to the 2 inch tube for the wheels, running parallel to back bumper). My biggest issues with that is having to have a receiver added to the trailer and how far out it will stick behind the trailer. So, 2d idea. Same orientation, same pulley set up to raise the quad, but then make two wheel scoops that mount on the back bumper to set back wheels into and to take the weight, secured to the ladder to hold in vertical position. PS -the 2 seater, no motor, around 125 lbs
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
I found Vier Bike's website. Don't know what model the OP has, but the dimensions of some I looked at are like 87" long by 47" wide. Small wonder it can't fit in the truck bed, and would have to say the idea he's floating to haul it would be ill advised.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what a quad bike/Vier Bike is.
125 lbs is not going to destroy the ladder.
Your camper has springs and shocks, so the "bouncing" will not be so harsh, no more than you climbing on the ladder and bouncing a little.
Is this a battery bike? Take the battery out to lower the weight.
Can you secure the bike such that the tires are touching the bumper so there is another point of contact?
You will find that forum people panic quite easily. Ask and they will tell you to never even climb on the ladder as it could break.
I have seen many ladders with multiple bikes and other junk on them.
Always a potential that the ladder breaks, but Im doubtful that the ladder will fall off on a trip all at once.
You should be fine.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about a small trailer or swivel wheel dolly?

Bob

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I watch RV reviews on youtube. That ladder flexes every time someone climbs up/down. I think you'd be asking for trouble. At the least, water proof seals could break down where the ladder is attached to the RV. Don't those things come with pretty hefty rear cargo hitches? I think I'd rather fab something to that.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And if it comes off resulting in property damage or injury will your insurance cover it?

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ladders are not designed for dynamic weight bouncing and vibrating down the road. In addition you have a 4' high bike that will increase torque applied to the ladder.

Leave the bike at home.

Bob

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
The 300lb rating for the ladder is most likely a 'static' rating - ie a big fat guy can climb the ladder with the camper parked. Although I would be doubtful that the manufacturer did any sort of calculations and just had Bubba go climb it to test it. What you are suggesting would be a dynamic load - a load that is there while the camper is in motion. With it hanging way off the back, if you hit a dip or speed bump a little too fast, the effective load could easily exceed 300lbs due to the g-forces and leave your ladder and bike lying in the road.

I wouldn't do it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would think about a front hitch and no use the ladder.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
A while back a contributor here wrote, "never use the ladder for anything other than climbing to the roof". I've used that as gospel since then.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
I probably wouldn't do it without calling Arctic Fox and asking their opinion. If I were going to try it, I would make sure it is strapped so there will be no movement/bouncing around. And better would be if you could get a hitch type of carrier attached to the frame under it to support most of the weight.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500