cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement gate valve handles

archie18
Explorer
Explorer
Both the gate valve handles on my two year old Passport travel trailer broke off. The metal shafts were made of aluminum and just snapped off where they attached to the metal rod coming from the valve. I tried replacing them with extension kits from Camping World but because my undercarriage is insulated and only about 3/4 inch of the rod extends from the valve it was difficult to keep them on since they attach with a set screw. Unable to find suitable replacements I went to the hardware store and bought two 1/4" x 6 " J-bolts and two 1/4" x 1" sleeve nuts. I put some lock-tite on the J-bolts, screwed the nuts half way on the J-bolts then screwed the assembly onto the valve rods.
Robert and Nancy
2013 Keystone Passport 2300bh/2014 Ford F150
http://wanderingwoolfolks.blogspot.com
4 REPLIES 4

archie18
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
They usually break right after when they start getting hard to push in and out. Which usually means there is stuff/tp paper caught around the valve blade and/or the valve blade seat.

Which is why they are not closing smoothly. The harder you have to push the more pressure you put on the cheap thin rod and they break.

I routinely take a long bottle type brush and run it up the y-pipe and brush around the opening for each tank.(valves open, need tanks empty to do this :W)

I also spray the rod on the handles with silicone. But it still has been my experience that once they start getting hard to push in it's going to be time for valve replacements and/or cleaning or the rods will ultimately break.

Thanks for the tips
Robert and Nancy
2013 Keystone Passport 2300bh/2014 Ford F150
http://wanderingwoolfolks.blogspot.com

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced one with a fender washer and two nuts. It sounds like that wouldn't work for you as you needed an extension.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
They usually break right after when they start getting hard to push in and out. Which usually means there is stuff/tp paper caught around the valve blade and/or the valve blade seat.

Which is why they are not closing smoothly. The harder you have to push the more pressure you put on the cheap thin rod and they break.

I routinely take a long bottle type brush and run it up the y-pipe and brush around the opening for each tank.(valves open, need tanks empty to do this :W)

I also spray the rod on the handles with silicone. But it still has been my experience that once they start getting hard to push in it's going to be time for valve replacements and/or cleaning or the rods will ultimately break.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea.

Must be the time of year. I also broke one. Mine are 1/4 inch 20 thread.

I'm going with a bolt with an eye at the end and get a broom stick with something at end to the hook into the eye. So I can open and close the valve that's really hard to get to if slide out is extended.

Hopefully that will put an end to my RV's exercise program. Known as "gate valve yoga move" that requires getting on knees, extend arm as far as possible, stretch upper body and finally reach handle then pull at weird angle.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"