cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacing rubber roof with alum

pop-sicle
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone heard of someone putting aluminum back on instead of rubber, not planning on doing it just a thought my roof is 16 years old so gotta be around the corner.
22 REPLIES 22

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sweat all the time - even if it is cold outside.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
4x4van wrote:
All good points, although I'm not sure I completely agree with all of them. Still don't see the difference between rubber and aluminum when it comes to sweating, whether they are on wood/OSB or not. Neither "breathes", so wouldn't rubber sweat just as much as aluminum? My aluminum is a thin smooth one-piece sheet, including the ramp up at the midpoint, leveling off, and continuing forward to the fiberglass cap; no seams at roofline changes. It is also glued down , although I'm not sure what the actual base under the aluminum is; wood, fiberglass, other?

Also seems that aluminum would be less susceptible to punctures and damage than EDPM, and small areas can easily be repaired with dicor if needed; not sure how repairs are done to EDPM since I've never owned one.

Because my frame/rafters are aluminum, I have no problems walking on my aluminum roof, and there is no damage or sagging anywhere. My RV is now 28 years old, and the roof is probably in better shape than any other part! Which is why the EDPM/rubber just seems backward to me. Of course, I'm obviously in the minority, as one-piece aluminum roofs are rare.

Camplites have one piece aluminum roofs. Ours has been excellent. Aluminum roof, aluminum frame with insulation. Never had a problem with sweating. You can hear the rain, but not sure if it is much louder than a rubber roof. I like the sound anyway.

The aluminum roof is one reason we decided to purchase the Camplite.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
I personally know of none.
I think it would work well. I do not see where the side bends would be a problem.
It should be a better system than rubber.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
All good points, although I'm not sure I completely agree with all of them. Still don't see the difference between rubber and aluminum when it comes to sweating, whether they are on wood/OSB or not. Neither "breathes", so wouldn't rubber sweat just as much as aluminum? My aluminum is a thin smooth one-piece sheet, including the ramp up at the midpoint, leveling off, and continuing forward to the fiberglass cap; no seams at roofline changes. It is also glued down , although I'm not sure what the actual base under the aluminum is; wood, fiberglass, other?

Also seems that aluminum would be less susceptible to punctures and damage than EDPM, and small areas can easily be repaired with dicor if needed; not sure how repairs are done to EDPM since I've never owned one.

Because my frame/rafters are aluminum, I have no problems walking on my aluminum roof, and there is no damage or sagging anywhere. My RV is now 28 years old, and the roof is probably in better shape than any other part! Which is why the EDPM/rubber just seems backward to me. Of course, I'm obviously in the minority, as one-piece aluminum roofs are rare.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:
Besides, isn't the patter of raindrops part of camping?

Can be too much at times. Definitely less noise on rubber.
4x4van wrote:

Where does wood come into play when comparing aluminum vs rubber?

OP wanted to put aluminum over wood/OSB, to replace his old EPDM membrane.

4x4van wrote:
It just seems that with the maintenance, deterioration, and eventual replacement that rubber & EDPM roofs all seem to experience, not to mention their relative fragility, manufacturers would have come up with something better by now.

EPDM maintenance is optional, other than washing - and this is optional too. Unless damaged, it lasts 10-12 years until it deteriorates too much. I personally would prefer aluminum in my climate zone and my camping style. Manufacturers are cutting the costs, OSB with a roll of EPDM is cheap and easy to install.
4x4van wrote:

How many rubber/EDPM roofs out there are still pristine after 30 years unless they are garaged most of the time and seldom walked on?

Not too many, but you're comparing apples to oranges here. There aren't too many wooden frame trailers with wooden rafters that are still not falling apart after 30 years either, no matter what condition of the roof. Walking is not an issue on EPDM over OSB. Body weight is. OSB is mere 5/8", and rafters is thin lumber 1.1/4"x1.1/2". I'm under 160 lbs and I walk when I have to, but still trying stepping on the rafters, not in between. Somehow I doubt that could walk in between the rafters on aluminum roof with no OSB underneath either.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
4x4van wrote:
For what it's worth, my '88 Jamboree has a one piece aluminum sheet roof. Other than the edges and vents, no maintenance at all. I'm actually surprised that more RVs don't use aluminum; seems like everyone complains about the rubber/EDPM roofs.

Rubber over wood is far quieter in a heavy rain, also wood doesn't sweat.

Perhaps, but my aluminum roof (over an aluminum frame) is not really that much louder than any RV I've been in during rain. There IS insulation; it's not like a tin-roofed shed. Besides, isn't the patter of raindrops part of camping?

And I'm not sure what you mean by "wood doesn't sweat"? Where does wood come into play when comparing aluminum vs rubber?

It just seems that with the maintenance, deterioration, and eventual replacement that rubber & EDPM roofs all seem to experience, not to mention their relative fragility, manufacturers would have come up with something better by now. Again, my aluminum roof is now nearly 30 years old, with no maintenance other than some dicor touch-up along the edges/vents every couple of years or so. How many rubber/EDPM roofs out there are still pristine after 30 years unless they are garaged most of the time and seldom walked on?

Rubber roofs have osb or plywood underlayment, the rubber is glued to it so there is no sweating of in cold damp weather. Aluminum will sweat in those conditions.
Issues with aluminum are that it needs to be flat, or have seams to cover changes in the roof line, rubber will form to those lines.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:
I'm actually surprised that more RVs don't use aluminum; seems like everyone complains about the rubber/EDPM roofs.

Too expensive, if it's a single piece on a big trailer.
Punctures and other damages are more difficult to deal with.

Those that complain about EPDM, are usually past 11-12 years. Replacement costs run 2K-4K if done in a shop - probably less than the price difference between new models with EPDM and aluminum, for a big trailer. Many people opt for DIY recoating EPDM roof with liquid rubber, few hundred bucks cost, good for some years.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
4x4van wrote:
For what it's worth, my '88 Jamboree has a one piece aluminum sheet roof. Other than the edges and vents, no maintenance at all. I'm actually surprised that more RVs don't use aluminum; seems like everyone complains about the rubber/EDPM roofs.

Perhaps, but my aluminum roof (over an aluminum frame) is not really that much louder than any RV I've been in during rain. There IS insulation; it's not like a tin-roofed shed. Besides, isn't the patter of raindrops part of camping?

And I'm not sure what you mean by "wood doesn't sweat"? Where does wood come into play when comparing aluminum vs rubber?

It just seems that with the maintenance, deterioration, and eventual replacement that rubber & EDPM roofs all seem to experience, not to mention their relative fragility, manufacturers would have come up with something better by now. Again, my aluminum roof is now nearly 30 years old, with no maintenance other than some dicor touch-up along the edges/vents every couple of years or so. How many rubber/EDPM roofs out there are still pristine after 30 years unless they are garaged most of the time and seldom walked on?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

Zieman Jetski Trailer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III

Zieman Jetski Trailer

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
pop-sicle wrote:
Has anyone heard of someone putting aluminum back on instead of rubber, not planning on doing it just a thought my roof is 16 years old so gotta be around the corner.
This is something I'm currently budgeting for - Clicky. My research indicates their system is better that the other one linked in this thread - but just MO. The best part is they are FL based and come to your location. Check out the video.

Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it lasted 16 years, why don't you put a new membrane and forget about it for another 7-8 years. By then, your rig won't be worth much. Btw, plywood underneath might need a partial replacement if your membrane leaked.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Many moons ago I had a '71 Tioga. Leaks got to be a problem, mostly around front window and cabover area. Sold it to a co-worker for a song, who was a much better mechanic than me.

At the time we both worked at a trucking company and he bought roll sheet aluminum that they used for trailer roof replacement. He took out front window and ran the sheet under the cabover to the top of rear window. Lots of curves to go around.

If I remember right he would snip the edge to make "tabs" and work it around the radius. After replacing the damaged wood, etc. he had a good looking, solid, watertight roof.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
At one time, there was a place local to me that did just that - aluminum roof on an rv. Never saw one done in person, though.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow