cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running wire from 5th wheel hitch to basement area

txwpd103
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in running a 30amp cord from the bed of my truck through the hitch area in to the area beneath the front bedroom bed, in to the basement area of the 5th wheel. Is access to this area generally obtained from the top (underneath the bed) or from underneath by taking the outside covering off from around the 5th wheel hitch? This is on a 2017 Dutchmen Denali.
2009 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB 4WD w/B&W Companion
2011 Forest River XLR 300x12
8 REPLIES 8

Explorer II
Explorer II
I have my Champion in the bed between the hitch and cab when traveling. At roadside stops I will connect the 30A shore cable to the Champion to run the AC. I never run it while driving down the road though.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I said splice not tap! A straight splice! DrewE is correct on what he is thinking. You need to inure that wiring does not allow connection to commercial power at the same time as genset.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
If you can get to where your current cord enters, you could splice in to it there or run to the 120 volt power distribution center.

Don't do this as described, though. You need to have some sort of a positive transfer switching system, not a splice between two electrical inputs, as the splice would make the inlet cord's plug hot when using the generator and permit you to connect line power to the generator with predictably very bad results.

An automatic transfer switch is one option. A manual switch may be another. A cord and plug setup is a third.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If you can get to where your current cord enters, you could splice in to it there or run to the 120 volt power distribution center.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

txwpd103
Explorer
Explorer
That is what Iโ€™m considering. When we traded for a new 5th wheel, I purposefully bought one that did not have an on board genset after fighting an Onan on our previous rig. No matter how religiously I ran it or used Sta-bil or ran the set dry each time, I had to replace the carb every year. They were non serviceable and were a couple hundred bucks a piece. The one draw back is weโ€™ve discovered that we miss being able to leave the fridge running enroute and we like to pull over for lunch and make a quick sandwich in a cool trailer. I have a great 4500 portable genset that I use pretty often that Iโ€™d like to use. On this Denali, the converter is up front in the basement as is the shore power plug so it wonโ€™t be a long run.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am guessing that you plan on putting genset in pick up box and want to connect to the converter.
Where is you converter located in the rig?

If converter is toward the rear of the rig. You will have to pull down the under belly material and rout the cable through the frame and along the frame longitudial rails.
You can use 10/2 with ground NM cable. Make sure it is protected around sharp edges.
Then connect to standard 30 amp cord in the front.
Might be a project!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

txwpd103
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link. Mine is completely sealed. I'm going to have to force an inspection probe in to the area to see what it looks like.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
This is a video of a solar panel instal, but he shows a very slick way to run a wire from the 5er hitch to the basement of the camper.

If you want to skip the install of the solar panel and just get to where he runs the wire, skip to about 2:30 in the video: Click here.