cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV toilet with a self contained holding tank

Prairieboy315
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am restoring a 1978 14' TT that my grandfather once owned. It has the original toilet that needs replacement. This toilet is bolted to the floor, and vented to the outside. It is plumbed in and has its own self-contained holding tank (about 5-6 gallons) situated directly below the toilet bowl. The toilet is directly attached to the sewer drop pipe and waste valve. Apparently to empty, one simply attached the sewer hose and opened the waste valve and the toilet emptied itself. There is NO black water holding tank or room for one.
I want to replace this toilet with a similar type but can't seem to find such an item today. (I see lots of portable toilets where you remove the waste container and dump it down a septic or toilet, but none that will allow you to use a waste valve to avoid handling the waste.
Does anyone know where I could locate such a toilet?

Thanks for any information you may be able to provide. BTW, I live in Canada so a Canadian supplier would be best if possible?
11 REPLIES 11

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 1976 17.5 foot Mobile Traveler mini home with a toilet like that. I don't know where to get a replacement but the marine idea sounds like a possibility.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I have Thetford's recirculating toilet with it's own black tank.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prairieboy315 wrote:

Here's an "out of the box" thought. Can I place a new low profile 5 gallon holding tank inside of the existing bathroom, built a 3/4 inch plywood box around it and place a new low profile toilet on top of this newly built 6 inch high "box/sub-floor"?

Sure thing; I've seen this, or something essentially similar, in truck campers and probably other RVs as well. Gravity works above the floor just as well as underneath it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Prairieboy315
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, what a great source of information you guys are. I will check into the leads provided and let you know what I learn.

Here's an "out of the box" thought. Can I place a new low profile 5 gallon holding tank inside of the existing bathroom, built a 3/4 inch plywood box around it and place a new low profile toilet on top of this newly built 6 inch high "box/sub-floor"?

Of course I'd still vent the black water tank outside (as it currently is) and position the new black water tank directly above the existing sewer pipe which leads to my waste valve. Any thoughts on this method? Thanks.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Prairieboy315 wrote:
I want to replace this toilet with a similar type but can't seem to find such an item today.

Fleetwood used the Sealand 712 self contained flush toilet in their Highlander high wall popup series. Sealand is now owned by Dometic so you might ask a local RV dealer if they can source this toilet for you.

Sealand 712 Flush Toilet
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like what I've seen on boats... manual pump , check a marine supply house.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
If just the toilet is bad can you reuse the tank with a new toilet?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Zealand used to offer a toilet/above floor tank combo- Dometic still offers the short toilet , the 511 ps model, you just need to find an appropriate size tank.
-- Chris Bryant

Prairieboy315
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone and thanks for your comments. I wish I could install a black water tank, but I crawled under the trailer and I don't think there is any possible space for a tank to fit. It is a double axle trailer and it very low to the ground already. The framing is only a 2x4 which gives me 3.5 inches of height to work within. I'll perhaps attach photos later.

I peered inside of the existing toilet tank (once I removed the water pump) and it is definitely just a small holding tank that goes directly into the sewer pipe. There is no power source to the tank to run a circulating pump and no bottom handle to pull to empty its small tank, so I don't believe it is some kind of monomatic recirculating toilet?

It simply has a manual pump on one side to bring water into the bowl (from my water tank) and a lever on the other side of the toilet to open the drain valve in the bowl and flush the waste into the small holding tank.

I'll keep looking. I might be forced to use a portable toilet, but I hope not.

Thanks again for your thoughts. Greatly appreciated. Tom

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure itโ€™s not a monomatic recirculating toilet?
Not uncommon back then. I was never a fan.
So I agree starting over may be the best move. 5-8 gallons is plenty for a week or more.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could start fresh.

Install a new holding tank with the new style toilet adapter plate.
That way you can use any RV toilet you want and the tank would have the drain valve you want.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY