cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar panel System

GoLuckyDog
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all 1st post hope I found the right spot otherwise a Mod please move.
My wife and I bought a new travel trailer last year and I want to make it so that we could be self sustaing for a longer period of time since the kids are getting older its time for US to be comfortable and AWAY :lol: I am thinking of installing solar panels to virtually power the camper with/without batteries for say a week at a time. Without having to start my generator for anything. I have gone to ebay and found a few systems. I am thinking a 2x100 watt panels however I am seeing one kit with a 1500w inverter and one without. I am not sure if the inverter is overkill or not we dont much in terms have any powered kitschy stuff but listening to the stereo so I am not sure if is entirely necessary, unless we are using the microwave and Im not sure if that would do the AC for long.
Any thoughts or opinions ??
Oh and I am getting 3 golf cart batteries to put in serial if that changes anything.

Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
With DC the humidifier is probably not going to work so the draw will be only for the CPAP motor which is going to be less than 2 amps or 16 AH total during the night.

I used a CPAP machine for a week in 1999 and said to hell with it and went in for throat surgery. For the past 15 years no CPAP needed and no sleep apnea so it was well worth the week of pain after the surgery.

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone taken a kill-a-watt and measured the actual power usage of one of these CPAP machines?
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
Don't waist your money on a Honda!! Get the equal of Honda for hundreds less ($600) and use the $400 savings for solar.

Honda EU2000i inverter generator $1000.

What would be even worse is spending $800 for half the generator the EU1000i.

-Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

2oldnslow
Explorer
Explorer
GoLuckyDog wrote:
I can plug directly into the camper I am not sure what amp the converter is atm. I could go direct to the battery as well I haven't looked into charging batteries that are in a series. However I would imagine I would have to unplug the Controller Regulator to the panels when using the generator. Maybe Im not getting what you are saying.

You would plug the trailer into the Honda generator just as you have been doing. No need to unplug the solar controller, it will run along with the generator just fine.

The converter MIGHT overload the generator if it puts out 45A or more, but only if your batteries are WAY down in charge. If you recharge them before they get down to 50% charge (and you always should) the generator will likely handle it.
2005 GMC 2500HD
1998 Lance 845
320AHr Battery Bank
400W Solar Array
Morningstar ProStar 30 PWM Controller
NovaKool R5810 5.8cf 12VDC Refridgerator (best mod ever!)

GoLuckyDog
Explorer
Explorer
I can plug directly into the camper I am not sure what amp the converter is atm. I could go direct to the battery as well I haven't looked into charging batteries that are in a series. However I would imagine I would have to unplug the Controller Regulator to the panels when using the generator. Maybe Im not getting what you are saying.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
GoLuckyDog wrote:
I have a 1000 Honda inverter.
I assumed this was a generator.
If you have a 60 amp converter it can overload this generator.

GoLuckyDog
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
A converter 45 amps and larger can overload a Honda 1000 charging that battery.
You may as well list your converter to get answers on what to expect.

I dont understand what you mean by the converter and my generator charging 4 6v?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
A converter 45 amps and larger can overload a Honda 1000 charging that battery.
You may as well list your converter to get answers on what to expect.

GoLuckyDog
Explorer
Explorer
doughere wrote:
YOU CHANGED THE QUESTION !!!

Adding the CPAP changes the need somewhat. If your CPAP draws an average of 3 Amp for 8 hours, you are looking at an additional 24 AH per day.

You say you're mostly in sunny spots, so 200 watts of solar would still be enough.

You won't die if the CPAP dies in the middle of the night.

I'd stick with the same 200 watts solar, 2 GC's, and a 1000 watt gen (a Honda or Yamaha inverter please, not a noise maker). If I were to do any more, I'd use 4 GC's to carry through cloudy days.

Doug

I have a 1000 Honda inverter. "You won't die if the CPAP dies in the middle of the night." uh yes... my wife will kill me when I start snoring :lol: So a simple 200 watt system is what I would look for and increase to 4GC's

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
Ah yes, I remember the early days of my Solar Quest and trying to find good info about Solar basics, such a fun time. Look and research the sites others have listed above, beware the cheapest "kits" and another site to visit would be Handy Bob's Solar.

Solar Power is a great thing to have when it is put together correctly. I boondock almost 11 months a year and rarely start the generator.

Have a fun time and enjoy your Solar System.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
YOU CHANGED THE QUESTION !!!

Adding the CPAP changes the need somewhat. If your CPAP draws an average of 3 Amp for 8 hours, you are looking at an additional 24 AH per day.

You say you're mostly in sunny spots, so 200 watts of solar would still be enough.

You won't die if the CPAP dies in the middle of the night.

I'd stick with the same 200 watts solar, 2 GC's, and a 1000 watt gen (a Honda or Yamaha inverter please, not a noise maker). If I were to do any more, I'd use 4 GC's to carry through cloudy days.

Doug

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Start at the beginning:
http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_electrical_and_solar.htm
http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/page_98

http://www.quartzfest.org/php/main.php?RV_Solar_Battery_bank_and_Solar_systems_by_N8GS

Then do an energy usage audit. Size the system based on anticipated energy use. Good luck!
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
GoLuckyDog,
Our fifth came with 2 group 24 batteries in vented plastic cases.
I built a vented to the outside, wooden box to hold 2 additional group 24's.
Also added (2)135 watt solar panels on the roof though a charge controller.
Solar panels, charge controller and wire purchased from Northern Arizona Wind & Sun.
Good prices, no sales tax and best of all, good folks to deal with.
Unless I need to run the AC at home it is never plugged in at home.
Panels keep the batteries topped off.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
GoLuckyDog wrote:
I had been reading from one of the links posted and it didnt occur to me to include that I am using a CPAP as well. As it reads I should use a generator and a decent battery bank for the power I would need over all is quite expensive. Has there been a discussion of 12v vs 6v banks and preferences amongst the members here?

Adding in a CPAP definitely takes you out of the low power category, especially if yours has a humidifier if I understand correctly. It is also not like the furnace that you can decide not to use to conserve some power. The power drain it creates needs to be added in to the rest of the rig.

Can it be expensive? Yes but it doesn't have to be. Sams and Costco have 6v batteries at decent prices. You can get controllers that don't have every bell and whistle that are less expensive yet still functional. The LEDs can be bought off of ebay at 10 for $17.99 with free shipping. As for the generator, you don't HAVE to have the top of the line. A $300 Champion 3500 makes a excellent back up if you camp alone. A slightly more expensive Champion 2000i inverter is nice and quiet if you are around others. A good pair of jumper cables doesn't cost much at all.

You are doing well getting into the reading and soon you will understand your needs and how to fill them. Also where your money is best spent to give you the results you need.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator