cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare fuel tanks idea

RockDodger
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to run something by you guys. I have an idea to replace the two 30 gal. propane tanks on the tongue of my trailer, which I never use, with two military style gerry cans in a vented box for extra gasoline so I don't have to stop so often for fuel. The propane tanks when full weigh around 55 lb each. The gas cans would weigh a little under 40 lb each. Now I know some of you alarmists are going to shout danger and death at me, but I appeal to the innovative thinkers, designers, and off-road techies for your ideas and thoughts. I pull a 20 ft TT with a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. It does a good job, but sucks gas like there's no tomorrow. An installed auxilliary fuel tank would make some service points inaccessable, so I decided against that. I thought this idea would be a viable alternative. So any input would be appreciated.:B
Terry & Marsha
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4 Super Crew
1987 Sunline Satellite T-2153

Northeast Illinois
24 REPLIES 24

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Rotopax seem like a pretty good solution for just carrying small amounts of gas.
I do like that fuel station, though. It seems to take a lot of the fussing out of carrying extra gas.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bowebow
Explorer
Explorer
Never mind. See u don't have pickup.
2007gmc duramax 2500hd
2014 V CROSS 30VSK

bowebow
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the 15 gal fuel station for 5 yrs.it's worked out great. I replumed it with a valve and tee it into the 5/8 over fill hose next to the fill hose. When gauge gets to about 1/4 I open valve and refill tank. Mounted in truck bed
2007gmc duramax 2500hd
2014 V CROSS 30VSK

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
RockDodger wrote:
Thanks guys for all the help! I like the fuel station idea from Gdetrailer and I will check into that. :B

That does seem like the way to go
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

RockDodger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for all the help! I like the fuel station idea from Gdetrailer and I will check into that. :B
Terry & Marsha

Northeast Illinois

RockDodger
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
-Oz- wrote:
I have a similar issue where my 2001 4runner has done the "i want gas" now thing so if I'm going somewhere new I carry a 6 gal in between my two batteries. You can see in this picture where it drops it:

I put it between the batteries so I still have propane plus batteries plus a little extra gas. At worst the extra gas gets me another 60 miles with the trailer which is plenty normally to find gas. If I'm really in a bind I drop the trailer then I can go another 105 miles...

I don't even strap it in; it fits so tight that I've never had issues with it even off-road. If I get into an accident I know the fuel will depart most likely but at that point that is probably the least of my problems.

There are so many things totally "wrong" about your setup..

Something about putting highly flammable liquids in a flimsy plastic gas can (with most likely the stupid EPA garbage spouts) between two potentially explosive batteries and topping that off by sandwiching between a set of propane tanks and the trailer body..

Your setup is similar to the old side saddle tanks of 70's-90's GM truck tanks in which the tanks were on the outside of the frame rails or like the much maligned "Pinto" rear tanks (which by the way, Pinto was not the ONLY car that used a rear tank.. Pretty much every car from 1950's up to 1980's had a rear tank).

Your setup is a real example of how not to do it.

You want to protect the fuel from being SQUEEZED out of the container, a plastic container is no match for 120 lbs of propane tank AND 120 lbs of battery.

A very serious accident will most likely snuff out not only you and your passengers lives but anyone else that is either part of the accident or attempting to HELP you.

A flimsy plastic gas can or even a metal "jerry can" is just not up to the task you have at hand for safety.

You are risking life and limb for what? Six gallons of fuel that will only net you a measly 40 miles of driving..

Just scary what folks are willing to do in the name of "convenience".

***YA! Fumes, sparks, and explosions come to mind here. I think I'll pass on that idea. :E
Terry & Marsha

Northeast Illinois

RockDodger
Explorer
Explorer
JESTER7406 wrote:
I am with these guys on the fact that filling from a can is not so fun, but I have done it on multiple hunting trips in NV and AZ.

Heres the argument winner: 20 min on the side of the road and driving to CG beats camping on the side of the road with an angry wife asking why you didnt bring enough gas.

***Amen brother!:p
Terry & Marsha

Northeast Illinois

RockDodger
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
RockDodger wrote:
I would like to run something by you guys. I have an idea to replace the two 30 gal. propane tanks on the tongue of my trailer, which I never use, with two military style gerry cans in a vented box for extra gasoline so I don't have to stop so often for fuel. The propane tanks when full weigh around 55 lb each. The gas cans would weigh a little under 40 lb each. Now I know some of you alarmists are going to shout danger and death at me, but I appeal to the innovative thinkers, designers, and off-road techies for your ideas and thoughts. I pull a 20 ft TT with a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. It does a good job, but sucks gas like there's no tomorrow. An installed auxilliary fuel tank would make some service points inaccessable, so I decided against that. I thought this idea would be a viable alternative. So any input would be appreciated.:B

Ditch the jerry cans.

You can get a 15 gallon "fuel station" which you can mount to your trailer tongue.

FUEL STATION LINK

It was designed for landscapers usage and is fully designed to be bolted to a landscape trailer frame.

If you wanted to keep your propane you could have a shelf built over top the propane tanks to hold it and it will drain via gravity OR..

Remove the propane tanks and mount in place of the tanks.. Then add a electric fuel pump for automobiles and you can pump it into your vehicles tank..

I used a tank similar to this one to mount in my truck bed and used a electric fuel pump to manually pump the fuel into my truck tank.. With my setup I can pump 15 gallons in about 11 minutes during a rest stop..

Don't have leaky cans or even have to hold the stupid splash and gurgle EPA cans.. I don't lose a drop of fuel and it is in a heavy duty tank..

By the way, just because it can hold 15 gallons it doesn't mean you have to put 15 gallons in it.. You can put 5 or even 10 gallons in it to hold you over for a while.

***Hey now. There's an idea.:C
Terry & Marsha

Northeast Illinois

RockDodger
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
RockDodger wrote:
***Nope. TT is all electric everything. We never dry camp. My wife doesn't like it..
What do you do with the refridge running down the road?

***Don't keep anything in it while rolling. We go shopping when we get there.
Terry & Marsha

Northeast Illinois

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the fuel station and probably figure in an electric pump.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
I am with these guys on the fact that filling from a can is not so fun, but I have done it on multiple hunting trips in NV and AZ.

Heres the argument winner: 20 min on the side of the road and driving to CG beats camping on the side of the road with an angry wife asking why you didnt bring enough gas.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

-Oz-
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
A very serious accident will most likely snuff out not only you and your passengers lives but anyone else that is either part of the accident or attempting to HELP you.

A flimsy plastic gas can or even a metal "jerry can" is just not up to the task you have at hand for safety.

You are risking life and limb for what? Six gallons of fuel that will only net you a measly 40 miles of driving..

A very serious accident will likely result in complete detachment and destruction of the trailer regardless of six gallons of gas.

Additionally, it isn't necessarily convenience as much as insurance. I normally do what was suggested above (I know worst case is 10mpg so I plan for gas @ 150miles (6 gal is a 25% increase btw)); there are a few times when I go to a site for a first time where gas isn't guaranteed.

Either way, I agree it isn't the smartest (and that tank above seems smarter) but I use it rarely and risk management is applied.
Dan
RV: 2013 Shadow Cruiser S185 FBR
My ~200W Portable and Fixed Solar System

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
RockDodger wrote:

Ditch the jerry cans.

You can get a 15 gallon "fuel station" which you can mount to your trailer tongue.

FUEL STATION LINK

It was designed for landscapers usage and is fully designed to be bolted to a landscape trailer frame.

If you wanted to keep your propane you could have a shelf built over top the propane tanks to hold it and it will drain via gravity OR..

Remove the propane tanks and mount in place of the tanks.. Then add a electric fuel pump for automobiles and you can pump it into your vehicles tank..

I used a tank similar to this one to mount in my truck bed and used a electric fuel pump to manually pump the fuel into my truck tank.. With my setup I can pump 15 gallons in about 11 minutes during a rest stop..

Don't have leaky cans or even have to hold the stupid splash and gurgle EPA cans.. I don't lose a drop of fuel and it is in a heavy duty tank..

By the way, just because it can hold 15 gallons it doesn't mean you have to put 15 gallons in it.. You can put 5 or even 10 gallons in it to hold you over for a while.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
-Oz- wrote:
I have a similar issue where my 2001 4runner has done the "i want gas" now thing so if I'm going somewhere new I carry a 6 gal in between my two batteries. You can see in this picture where it drops it:

I put it between the batteries so I still have propane plus batteries plus a little extra gas. At worst the extra gas gets me another 60 miles with the trailer which is plenty normally to find gas. If I'm really in a bind I drop the trailer then I can go another 105 miles...

I don't even strap it in; it fits so tight that I've never had issues with it even off-road. If I get into an accident I know the fuel will depart most likely but at that point that is probably the least of my problems.

There are so many things totally "wrong" about your setup..

Something about putting highly flammable liquids in a flimsy plastic gas can (with most likely the stupid EPA garbage spouts) between two potentially explosive batteries and topping that off by sandwiching between a set of propane tanks and the trailer body..

Your setup is similar to the old side saddle tanks of 70's-90's GM truck tanks in which the tanks were on the outside of the frame rails or like the much maligned "Pinto" rear tanks (which by the way, Pinto was not the ONLY car that used a rear tank.. Pretty much every car from 1950's up to 1980's had a rear tank).

Your setup is a real example of how not to do it.

You want to protect the fuel from being SQUEEZED out of the container, a plastic container is no match for 120 lbs of propane tank AND 120 lbs of battery.