cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thor Motorhome Transmission add ons

cabinfourus
Explorer
Explorer

I own a 2002 Thor Four Winds motorhome on the Ford E450 chassis. It has the v10 gasoline engine and the 4r100 transmission. My motorhome is in great shape with only 38,000 miles on it. I am a mechanic and keep it maintained by the book. 

I read an article a few years ago about a guy that installed a splitter on his transmission. It somehow would give him a lower gear for better towing. I'd like to get some opinions on using one of these, and is it worth it? Also, would it be in my best interest to add another transmission cooler or electric fan to use when towing? 

My wife and I just sent our last child off to college and are planning on going on the road for a year. We don't want to run into issues that could have been avoided with some preventive maintenance. 

Thanks,

John

2 REPLIES 2

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

Sounds like you're talking about a Gear vendors Under/Overdrive unit. They were really popular back in the 80's when we only had 3 speed transmissions because they basically doubled the amount of gears available. Link to Gear vendors Looks like they are 3,000-5,000 plus installation.

I believe in transmission cooling, but would say it depends. Does the motorhome have a transmission temp gauge? Is it having a heat problem now?

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

The old F53 engine and trans, despite being loud, is pretty bullet proof and tried and true. Not sure what you really need out of it than it already has. Thousands upon thousands of MHs with this setup and no issues touring and towing. Your proposal sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Stay withing towing specs and you'll be fine. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS