cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Top down day/night shades...

cephoto
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about mounting my day/night shades upside down to make them top down. I often want light but privacy too and given the height of our homes, top down shades would really be an asset and I don't see why mounting my day/night shades that way would be a problem.
Any thoughts?
CEPhoto
15 REPLIES 15

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
If those Day/ Night shades have been correctly installed,removing them is relatively simple .
Reach up behind the Valance with Both Hands. Gently pull the shade top box toward You and rotate it downward on the side facing the glass.

If on the other hand the Manufacturer has driven screws into the top box ( been there ) then You may have to remove the Valance or literally stand on Your Head or use a Mirror or Digital Camera to locate those screws, remove them and rehang the repaired or modified Blinds properly!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

cephoto
Explorer
Explorer
yes, downtheroad, I can imagine you did.
CEPhoto

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
So are they now night/day shades?
Or perhaps south pole shades? :B:B:B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
So are they now night/day shades?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
cephoto wrote:

Slice of humble pie anyone?

I grew up eating 'humble pie.' Doesn't bother me a bit.
Glad you are happy with you upside down shades.

Now, if you want to learn how to turn your fuel tank upside down to get better mileage...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

cephoto
Explorer
Explorer
This was amazingly simple. A few cosmetic issues to think about(screw placement, the old holes).
With your issue, I'm assuming the upper or lower end is covered in window box? I took those off first of course. Mine were relatively simple.
CEPhoto

BudFoster37
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it was an easy fix. I have a torn one and can't get it off. There is not enough room to even see how it is attached.

cephoto
Explorer
Explorer
Too all, as Bill and I thought, works perfectly. It seems every bit as tight right side up and can't imagine it falling down even if moving. If we could attach photos, I'd show you and that I didn't have to park upside down or say it sdrawkcab. As I'm doing, now is a good time to restring any blind that does or may need it soon.

MAKE A DIAGRAM BEFORE REMOVING OLD STRING. 2 STRING ISN'T SO BAD, 4 STRING YOU'LL NEED ONE.

Slice of humble pie anyone?
CEPhoto

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make a simple wood frame and try it including a test while driving the rig.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

cephoto
Explorer
Explorer
window film... tried that, use it on some windows but it's too dark, all of the time. Certainly unless it's black out doesn't provide privacy at night. I'd like adjustable. The rest of you know that they do make top down window shades that look exactly like normal day/night shades?
CEPhoto

cephoto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks BudFoster, exactly what I thought too. And of course they'll fall down if taken loose and held upside down. They will right side up too.
For those of you that have presenting an opposing opinion, I'll try and post but I can't see why with proper tension adjustment, they'd fall down. They don't function by gravity either side up right?
CEPhoto

BudFoster37
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are all tight enough that they wouldn't fall down. If you can adjust the tension, I think it would work.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Why not use frosted window film?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think the only way that will work is if you park your rig upside down..:B

You can get cellular shades to replace your day night shades that will open both ways...top down or bottom up.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro