Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vinyl flooring - plank or sheet??

rambleonrose
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks

As soon as the weather cooperates and we can seal the roof, a new floor goes in!

We're wanting to go the vinyl route, but with all the research I've done, I can't find enough info on what's better for an RV - vinyl stick planks, or the more traditional sheet.

I have seen a few pics here where the sheet split - I'm in upstate NY, so weather is a big factor to my decision.

But.... how's that vinyl plank for moisture control? Was leaning towards sheet because there are no gaps, but I shudder at the notion of all the work and then a crack after the first winter! I like the idea of the plank/tile installation, as it seems way more familiar to me, having done floating wood floor and the like, but I'm worried with the temp expansion/contractions the gaps will be bigger, and any spills can wreak more havoc.

Also, regardless of type, going on top of particle board sub floor, is there a moisture barrier to put down as well?

Any tips or tricks on either of these would be extremely helpful for our decision!
TIA!
18 REPLIES 18

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't try to put sheet material down myself. IIRC the mfr puts that down before the base cabinets,etc. are installed, for a reason.
bumpy

Racer12
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Cedar Creek and we ordered it with 12 inch by 12 inch vinyl tiles. I have had a couple of them replaced due to damage (droping things), other than that no problems and I live in northern Minnesota

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed vinyl plank flooring in the basement of my house. It looks amazing and has a texture to it. I put a sheet of 6 mil plastic underneath the flooring.

The flooring I bought is rated for 35 degrees f. I have no idea what would happen to it below those temps, but since youโ€™re in upstate ny, it is something to keep in mind.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
You can get waterproof vinyl. My thoughts on it are that in the plank, if something cracks, you only have to replace one or two pieces, not the whole thing. That's what we have in most of our rental property.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW