cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater switch MOD to prevent accidental turn on

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
With the bad weather we had this weekend I decided to tackle an inside RV project. I wish I could take full credit for the idea but I have to admit I saw it somewhere on this forum. I don't know who to give credit but I thought others would enjoy seeing this again.
Our 5th wheel has three sets of switches in a row right as you come in the door.

The problem is that they put the switch for the water heater on the bottom and it is the only switch that really looks and feels like a regular light switch. This creates a big problem because it is so natural to come in the door and hit the switch, not only the kids mistake this but most the adults do too.
It makes me think yet again, have the RV designers ever actually stayed in one before???
The fix was quick and easy using a simple mirror clip. These are sold in hardware stores to hang mirrors on the wall in your home. I got a box of 6 for $1.49

To make the safety switch work best you need to remove most of the "stem" of the clip so that it will lay nearly flat and keep your switch securely in the off position. This was easily done with my hand grinder in about 2 seconds. It could also be done with a sander or other tool.
The one on the left is the original clip, the one on the right has been altered

Next center the clip under the switch. MAKE SURE to give the clip enough clearance so that the switch can be turned on when the clip in in the sideways position.

With the clip in place the water heater switch cannot be accidentally turned on.
Use a small screw to attach the clip to the wall plate. The screws that came with the clips seemed a little long so I used a shorter one. I did not pre-drill. Make it just snug but not too tight. You want the clip to be able to turn with pressure but not on it's own.

With the clip to the side the water heater switch can be turned ON
The whole project took only a few minutes!
13 REPLIES 13

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
The circuit breaker is mechanical and therefore can wear out. Also it is a very important safety device. They are guaranteed for so many trips. I personally would not get in the habit of using it as an on off switch. Although it is also considered a good practice to 'excercise" the breakers once a year.

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
portscanner wrote:
We put a timer in series with the switch. Now we don't worry about forgetting to turn it off! You have to twist the timer to turn it on so there is little chance of accidentally turning it on.

Great idea! We have those on our bathroom fans at home.

2oldnslow
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Pauljdav wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Nice job. I just wish I had a switch for the electric on the inside of the trailer!

Does your water heater have a dedicated circuit breaker?
Mine does and that is what I use as my inside switch.

Paul

I've been told that it is not a good idea to use your circuit breaker as an on/off switch unless it is designated that it is designed for it. Supposedly it weakens the breaker and they will "flip" easier. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can clear that up for us.

This is true. Most circuit breakers are not rated for a lot of on/off cycles. Switch-rated breakers are available but are more expensive, so you won't likely find one in an RV.
2005 GMC 2500HD
1998 Lance 845
320AHr Battery Bank
400W Solar Array
Morningstar ProStar 30 PWM Controller
NovaKool R5810 5.8cf 12VDC Refridgerator (best mod ever!)

donhoward49
Explorer
Explorer
I love the idea, I have an inverter switch in the entry that can be turned on accidentally,I will try this.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Pauljdav wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Nice job. I just wish I had a switch for the electric on the inside of the trailer!

Paul

I've been told that it is not a good idea to use your circuit breaker as an on/off switch unless it is designated that it is designed for it. Supposedly it weakens the breaker and they will "flip" easier. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can clear that up for us.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
We put a timer in series with the switch. Now we don't worry about forgetting to turn it off! You have to twist the timer to turn it on so there is little chance of accidentally turning it on.
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I drilled the plate and put in a red pilot light. It's hard miss when it's on. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Not a bad idea. I replaced the switch with an "illuminated when on" switch. So the switch is lite if the water heater is on.

That's a good idea, but I'm still worried that the kids (or even me)would switch it on while it is empty and drained between trips. I don't want to burn it out for something so simple.

4advtr
Explorer
Explorer
Pauljdav wrote:
bob213 wrote:

Paul

X2, this is what I do. I leave the switch on out at the hot water tank and just flip the breaker when I need to use it.
2014 Redwood 38BR
2013 Ford F-350 6.7L SRW
B&W Turnover, 18K Companion

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Not a bad idea. I replaced the switch with an "illuminated when on" switch. So the switch is lite if the water heater is on.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

dalehelman
Explorer
Explorer
I like it. Simple cheap and effective.
Dale & Sandi
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2015 Little Guy T@B Sofitel
Liberty Lake (Spokane) WA.

DIY Manual replacement for Workhorse Auto Park emergency brake.

Stay In Play Duo Toad Braking System

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:

Paul

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand