cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What paint do they use? UPDATE 3/20/14

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I want to repaint the front cap of a 2008 Cherokee after a decal remove exposed bare metal. I tried calling Forest River and they said the panels came already painted. I tried calling Amerimax the MFG of the panels. They will paint with whatever the customer wants. Any one have an idea of what they use?
10 REPLIES 10

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
DuPont Imron polyurethane enamel used to be used a lot for severe duty applications but I don't know how suitable it is for DIY work.

DB uses it on his construction 10-wheelers. It holds up a lot longer than enamel.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:
Clay L wrote:
DuPont Imron polyurethane enamel used to be used a lot for severe duty applications but I don't know how suitable it is for DIY work.

Imron is great paint for aircraft and marine projects. It's way overkill for aluminum siding. The three-part Imron primer will require good respiration equipment and plenty of ventilation. I speak from experience.
Not to mention it's $125. a quart.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I called Forest River and asked for repair, they gave me parts last time. I was able to find out they use Scikkens WA 9567 witch is a GM color Artic White. I went down to the parts store and had them mix me up a quart of Nason acrylic enamel and purchased some self etching primer. All this because the decal remover dissolved the paint.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm waay behind on paint science. Aluminum expands and contracts more than steel or fiberglass. Ask at an automotive paint supplier about prepping and paint.
The new high gloss paints used to be called 15 year paints. Urethanes or whatever, they shed the elements real well.
Some don't even recommend waxing, just polish, or did.
The water base stuff must work well but I don't like the dullness still coming through from the color coats.

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Prepainted aluminum sheet goods is usually a vinyl coating.

To paint the bare aluminum, it's necessary to use either a pre-paint etching wash or an etching primer. I use a phosphoric acid based cleaner and Sherwin-Williams DTM Industrial acrylic primer. It's listed to prime bare aluminum.

After priming, any paint will work. A good choice would be an epoxy or oil enamel for a DIY job.

I was in the paint industry or 20 years before I retired. While not familiar with the brand the procedure is correct. Just make sure whatever primer you use is suitable for the chosen topcoat. Sometimes the chemicals used to activate the epoxy will "eat" the primer.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:

Imron is great paint for aircraft and marine projects. It's way overkill for aluminum siding. The three-part Imron primer will require good respiration equipment and plenty of ventilation. I speak from experience.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Prepainted aluminum sheet goods is usually a vinyl coating.

To paint the bare aluminum, it's necessary to use either a pre-paint etching wash or an etching primer. I use a phosphoric acid based cleaner and Sherwin-Williams DTM Industrial acrylic primer. It's listed to prime bare aluminum.

After priming, any paint will work. A good choice would be an epoxy or oil enamel for a DIY job.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
I had mine repainted and they only use a two part epoxy paint on fiberglass. The same thing they use on high end yachts.
I can tell you the stuff is very durable. It takes rock hits better than the gel coat did.
Mine is Aluminum.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I had mine repainted and they only use a two part epoxy paint on fiberglass. The same thing they use on high end yachts.
I can tell you the stuff is very durable. It takes rock hits better than the gel coat did.