cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whole house fan for trailer or RV--DIY swamp cooler option

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Originally wanted to get a MaxxAir roof vent. The 7500k model looked good with the temp control. Still hope to get one down the road.

For now this little setup is an attempt to get filtered air blown into the trailer. With hopes that a slight positive pressure might keep dust from entering all the cracks. Its dusty here so i only open the windows at night when nobody is driving by. Even then i still have a home A/C filter at the window opening.

Its not really finished. But its working and ive been using it for a month or 2. The blower is held up by a piece of wood for now. Need to attached it somehow and make some sort of shroud for driving in rain . Also need to get a rectangular grill with 4" input for when the swamp cooler is not hooked up.

The blower pulls around 3amps at 13.4v. The goal was to cool the trailer using solar power. Its somewhat successful. Sure as heck doesnt compare to the roof A/C. But it does blow cool filtered air from batteries. At night i turn it down to low for a steady stream of fresh air.

Pros:
Doesnt need shore power
Air is somewhat filtered from larger particles
Can adjust the blower speed and amp draw
Could be controlled by a temp sensor or timer
Swamp cooler and small fan blows nice cool air at your body
Marine style bilge blowers are designed to operate at RV voltages (so far no issue with 14.4)

Cons:
Its not as quiet as i hoped
Can hear it from outside even 50' away
Swamp cooler in current setup couldnt cool the entire trailer
Money could be put towards a roof vent instead
People with zero taste might say its ugly

Here are some of the parts. Bought most things from ebay, amazon, home improvement.

1. 4" automotive filter
2. Attwood 4" Turbo Blower
3. 20amp PWM speed control (ebay around $10)
4. 4" white pipe its not PVC i think its for drainage and much cheaper

Swamp cooler:
1. Bucket
2. Blue swamp cooler pad from hardware stores located in dry climates.
3. 12v Pump (tried a 280L/H and thats barely sufficient. yesterday got a 400L/H and that works better. i plan to use both and make 2 separate drip lines. using two of the 400L/H or a single larger pump might be needed as my evaporative pad is not 100% saturated yet)
4. 5/16th ID vinyl tubing
5. 3/8th T fitting (you can stretch the tube onto larger fitting)

3 REPLIES 3

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Moving away from the ribbed tubing would increase air flow while reducing noise. How are your tin bending skills? Use the biggest tube that will fit. (again noise and airflow will be improved).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep working on it. Yes, noise is an issue. Looks promising to me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I like DIY projects and tinkering with different ideas. Thanks for sharing.