cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

15" vs 16" tires question

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
new rig came with really nice 15" wheels & tires--but I see some have 16" tires--any advantage to 16" size?
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"
6 REPLIES 6

HD_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
If the trailer comes with 15" tires I recommend you keep them on there if the trailer is under warranty, changing them would void the warranty. After the warranty I would go with the 16" tires because of the load rating, but be carefule of the height under the fenderwell of a possible slideout because when the trailer bounces along with your loaded gear it maybe leaving you with damage of rubbing thru the fenderwell.
2000 Volvo 420, 370 ISM Cummins,
10 Speed, Single Axle
2001 5th Wheel HR Presidential SKT 36.5

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chuck&Gail wrote:
16" gives you more choices in tires.

Personally I have put over 200,000 miles on various 15" NON-CHINESE ST tires. Only issues have been a few repairable nail, punctures. They work ok for me.

I replace tires if they wear out, or get to be 7 years old per DOT code. Often those two events are nip and tuck.

I balance tires, do not overload them, and as said above I do not use Chinese tires. Only 15" choice I know of at this time is Maxxis.

Your experience confirms that they OK on smaller lighter trailers. My one slide 96 26' Terry went on the same set of OEM LRC 15" Marathons until I traded it in the summer of 2004.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
16" gives you more choices in tires.

Personally I have put over 200,000 miles on various 15" NON-CHINESE ST tires. Only issues have been a few repairable nail, punctures. They work ok for me.

I replace tires if they wear out, or get to be 7 years old per DOT code. Often those two events are nip and tuck.

I balance tires, do not overload them, and as said above I do not use Chinese tires. Only 15" choice I know of at this time is Maxxis.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
15" trailer tires are prone to blowouts.
HR

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fewer blowouts with 16".
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
kopy kat wrote:
new rig came with really nice 15" wheels & tires--but I see some have 16" tires--any advantage to 16" size?

Your really nice 15" tire are most likely cheap ST tires. It is hard to fine a higher quality 15" tire to carry the required load. Going to 16" wheels opens you up to lot's of choices.

Run what you have to two years and then get serious about doing an upgrade. What make are the 15" tires.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021