cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000 Montana Dometic AC fan quit blowing. I have a capacitor question.

showme
Explorer III
Explorer III

We have our 2000 5th wheel parked on the property we're getting ready to build on, and although it's more of a tool shed than a living area, we still turn the AC on when we're down there working on the place. The other day I switched on the power to the 5er (we have solar set up that will power the house and outbuildings), walked over to the trailer and the compressor was humming but the AC fan wasn't blowing air. After a few youtube videos, I knew the problem is probably the capacitors. I've changed them out in our home AC quite a few times. But the videos I watched all had Start, fan and run capacitors. Mine has a dual fan and run capacitor, 60 and 5 microfarads, but no start capacitor.Is this correct for a 2000 Dometic roof AC? The only other electrical part I could find was the relay, but I just want to make sure before I order the capacitor. Thanks for any help or comments on this. Lee

5 REPLIES 5

showme
Explorer III
Explorer III

Well, I took the new capacitor down to the property yesterday, but after it was installed, the same thing is happening. Condensor hums, but the fan isn't kicking on. I guess today I'll check the fan motor and see if it's ok, and now I'm wondering about the relay, too. It seems that when I start troubleshooting something like this, it's never the easiest fixes first. I may end up with a rebuilt AC by the time I'm done with it. In that case, at least I'll know it's good for a few years, anyway. So it's back to the drawing board. 

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II

Before replacing components, check for obstructions in the fan area. It is not uncommon for wasps to build nests that keep the fan from turning which results in the symptoms you describe.

2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

When I opened up the AC, I checked everything and it all looked pretty good. This spring when I washed the trailer I took the cap off and cleaned it all up, including using AC foam on the AC coil. Got a few mud dobber nests out of it, but it's good now. The fan side of the capacitor is testing bad, and the new one came in the other day. I just have to get back down there and install it. Thanks for the suggestion! 

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

sounds about right, if you know the model of the ac it would be easier to know forsure, but not a lot came with start capacitors in the old days.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. It is 24 years old and I could find no other capacitors in the unit, so I figured this was the case. I just wanted to make sure. I went ahead and ordered another dual run capacitor that will be here in a few days. Of course, the heat here in southeast Missouri decided to jump back up to the usual August mid-90's highs. But I don't spend much time in the 5th wheel when I'm down there. I'm mostly sweating outside getting work done. Thanks for your reply, StirCrazy. Lee